Humble Beginnings

Default Humble Beginnings

I had my first gig today.

It was a house party with 10 somewhat hispanic people and the only one who danced was my mom.

I will be 18 in 5 months so hopefully once I turn I can start playing at bars or something.

----------

So what was you're first gig, and I mean the first time you played in front of complete strangers.

What happened, how did it go, how did you feel afterwards, ect.

My first gig was at my University Departments 2nd Year Ball, when I had just got into DJing and had been playing for about 7 months. It was nerve-wracking as it was for about 200 people, who I knew, and many of whom were studying full time music-tech courses, which meant that they knew (or at least thought they did), knew what they were listening for!

It was a massive learning curve for me, as even though I knew most of these people, it was the first time I had, had a crowd to read, but after about 10 minutes, I got settled and was absolutely loving it.

Afterwards... what a rush; I struggled to get to sleep!

It was one of the best nights I have ever had, and got other work in bars and small clubs in the town my uni was in off the back off, as half of the guys there had bar jobs and were telling their management how good the night was :-)
    Pioneer CDJ 1000MK3 x 2/Pioneer RMX 1000/Traktor S8/Pioneer HDJ2000s/Pair KRK RP5 G2/MBP 13"/Traktor Scratch Pro/Push/Novation Launchkey 25/Trigger Finger Pro/1.5" iMac :-) http://www.facebook.com/DJThinAir

Tech Mentor

My first gig was a birthday "get together"

The girl gave me 8 songs and told me to play them all back to back on loop. The party was 4 hours long

No one danced, everyone sat on the couch and texted

My first gig was to about 50 people in a small club near where I live.

After the first mix the sound limiter the club had installed due to the sound police trying to constantly shut them down overheated and shorted out the ENTIRE power of the venue...fuck knows how!

When it eventually came back on, I played for another 45mins and haven't looked back since.

Well done on your first show man, good luck with the next one - remember to learn and take something away from each gig!
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post

Well done on your first show man, good luck with the next one - remember to learn and take something away from each gig!
    Great advice
    Pioneer CDJ 1000MK3 x 2/Pioneer RMX 1000/Traktor S8/Pioneer HDJ2000s/Pair KRK RP5 G2/MBP 13"/Traktor Scratch Pro/Push/Novation Launchkey 25/Trigger Finger Pro/1.5" iMac :-) http://www.facebook.com/DJThinAir