Introduction to an Unusual Music Mixer Person
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Introduction to an Unusual Music Mixer Person

Hello Everyone!

I've posted in the forum a bit and I'd now like to introduce myself. I'm not your typical DJ by any means. I don't even really consider myself a DJ.

I am a 44 year old woman (yup!) who has always loved music and in college back in the early 80's I would entertain at parties using A-tracks (remember those?) cassettes and records. It was just something immensely enjoyable and still is. In fact, music is therapeutic and what keeps me grounded in an insane world and I suspect many here feel the same about their connection to music.

I play at small loungey events that people seem to really enjoy. Playlists are unpredictable, super eclectic and global. I've never done a paid gig due to a combination of lack of confidence and just not bothering even when it's offered. It's almost like guilt to take money for something that feeds my soul so much.

Downtempo, world music, chill, and deep, minimal, soul house are favorites. Technologically, I'm a basket case. Although I'm a digital design instructor, talk of tks, latency and sound cards is head spinning and that's why I'm here.

I want to learn what tools to use to work for my style. I'm not interested in scratching and so far, I've moved from the basic Numark Fusion CD/Mixer kit to connecting my MacBook Pro and iPod to a mixer. Anyhow, that hasn't been too comfortable and until recently, the VCI 300 was my dream -- it's hard to tell if it will ever emerge and supposedly, Itch software isn't all that it's scratched up to be. I just purchased Traktor 3 and it's super fun, even with much left to learn.

So... I need help and this appears to be a solid place to get it.
    Since I'm not interested in scratching, are there any solid controllers that you can suggest -- for example between the VCI 100, VCM 100, Xsession Pro ad so on.

Please pardon the length of this post and be patient when I ask weird questions!

BTW Ean, I've got tons of really fun VB smilies if you want them.

Cheers.

If you can't be bothered about scratching, you might want to check out the VCM-100. A solid little controller and soundcard in one.
    You also want the simplest DJ controller software, unfortunately I cannot make any recommendations on that.

Really simple & cheap = mixxx
    supported controllers:
    - Vestax VCI-100
    - M-Audio Xponent
    - M-Audio X-Session Pro

What took me about half a day to get used to = traktor
    As far as I know, any controller will do.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Wow thats freakin ballin story right there. I am the same way with out music. It helps me get through this cracked out society lol. Music can determine the way I lift in the gym, if I am feeling down it can make me happy, if I am mad it can make me even more pissed off.

Since you just got tractor the vcm-100 would be a good choice.

Also the X-session pro its cheap and works well just for plain ol mixing ya know. I use it with ableton live and I love it it does what I need to to do. I am keeping it when I move to traktor myself.

The only thing about the xsession pro is its very nimble I bet the fader knob on channel b it still works but just looks weird.

But at a party I was doing tequila got into it. I dried it out and it still worked.

Good luck on your journey into digital dj'n!

X~

Tech Wizard

hi sunshine , i feel with you
    traktor is worth to learn ,and step by step you will bring your creativity in it
    like the most users here i would recommend the vestax vci 100, its a simple ,solid and sexy unit to play with. you will have fun for years with it,and the same with traktor you can easily learn things step by step even the technical things (i am totaly uncreative when it comes to that point but i managed that too,took some time but things always seem to be more complicated as they are)
    but then again you will have to do the external soundcard thing but even that is very nice to do and to learn
    my opinion is to go for a controller and a external soundcard. i absolutely live here and now but when i look in to the future you re always better with special gear for special operations and not for the combinated controller and soundcard things

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    ... I would entertain at parties using A-tracks (remember those?)
    I think you mean...8-tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    Think so.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    Thank you! That's what lack of sleep does to you.

8-Tracks -- these gizmos

Tech Wizard

Thank you tekki. I already purchased Traktor 3.

Tech Wizard

Wow thats freakin ballin story right there. I am the same way with out music. It helps me get through this cracked out society lol. Music can determine the way I lift in the gym, if I am feeling down it can make me happy, if I am mad it can make me even more pissed off.
    Thank you... I hope you're mostly happy than pissed off.

Since you just got tractor the vcm-100 would be a good choice.

Also the X-session pro its cheap and works well just for plain ol mixing ya know. I use it with ableton live and I love it it does what I need to to do. I am keeping it when I move to traktor myself.
    Since the VCM 100 is about the same price as the VCI, I'm considering to purchase the xSession, then wait for the next batch of VCI 100 LEs

The only thing about the xsession pro is its very nimble I bet the fader knob on channel b it still works but just looks weird.

But at a party I was doing tequila got into it. I dried it out and it still worked.
    Do we even want to know how tequila ended up o your gear?
    It's good to know that the xsession can withstand the power of tequila.
    Good luck on your journey into digital dj'n!
    You are very kind. Thanks again and good luck to you too!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by philll View Post
    hi sunshine , i feel with you
    traktor is worth to learn ,and step by step you will bring your creativity in it
    like the most users here i would recommend the vestax vci 100, its a simple ,solid and sexy unit to play with. you will have fun for years with it,and the same with traktor you can easily learn things step by step even the technical things (i am totaly uncreative when it comes to that point but i managed that too,took some time but things always seem to be more complicated as they are)
    Hello philll! I'm trying so figure out the layout and preferences and I'm having a blast with the little I've been able to learn so far. Indeed the goal is to get comfortable enough with the technology so that the creativity has room to breathe.
    Your progress gives me hope.
    but then again you will have to do the external soundcard thing but even that is very nice to do and to learn
    my opinion is to go for a controller and a external soundcard. i absolutely live here and now but when i look in to the future you re always better with special gear for special operations and not for the combinated controller and soundcard things
    So far, I plan to get one of the VCI 100 LEs if I'm lucky and the Presonus Firebox looks like a possible sound card.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast