Audio Technica ath-m50 Headphones?! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Zolo View Post
    Is there a drastic difference between coiled and straight cords?
    ofcourse there is

A coiled cord can expend a lot and therefore it will be heavier. this is great for a gig but it's not something you want when you're using your headphones to listen to music on the street, bus w/e then you'd be wanted a straight cord.

So if it's studio/gig only: coiled cord is good. but it's always good to have reserves so why not buy both ?
    NI Traktor Kontrol S4 - Sennheiser HD 25 - MF SPECTRA

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 32Digits View Post
    ofcourse there is

A coiled cord can expend a lot and therefore it will be heavier. this is great for a gig but it's not something you want when you're using your headphones to listen to music on the street, bus w/e then you'd be wanted a straight cord.

So if it's studio/gig only: coiled cord is good. but it's always good to have reserves so why not buy both ?
    haha i'd rather not spend 300 on the same headphones. On the other hand, which is more durable?

haha i'd rather not spend 300 on the same headphones. On the other hand, which is more durable?

Or I'm wrong I thought the cord was removable

Tech Wizard

haha no! So, I'm stuck between coiled or straight..

haha no! So, I'm stuck between coiled or straight..

OK then you need to think what the purpose is:

1) Only for gigs and producing? => coiled
    2) In combination with listening music on the go (on the street, plane etc..) => straight - lighter and efficient

You can use a straight for gigs too but some don't like it because it's short and sometimes it pulls your set. for producing straight is enough imo

Tech Wizard

So there ranging around 159.99, but The Sound Professionals have them on sale for 118.99

So there ranging around 159.99, but The Sound Professionals have them on sale for 118.99
    pretty decent price, and what about the Audio Technica 700 mk II ? that one got a detacheable cord, (it was the one I wanted but couldn't find :/

The GF picked me up a pair of these for Xmas and I've been incredibly pleased overall. Overall feel is great and sound for the price can't be beat. Was planning on picking up the Sennys or TMA-1s, but received these instead and couldn't be happier. GF did her research...

They seem durable enough although I'm not too abusive with my gear. I use them both for Djing/producing and the bass reproduction and overall frequency response is very good for both. Not too boomy, but solid enough you can feel it.

I actually like them enough...I'm going to be picking up another pair strictly for gigging since I found they also have them in white. In the US they can be had for ~110 USD shipped.

Mmmmmm sexy.
    Last edited by stevohill; 01-29-2013 at 07:07 PM.

NOT for producing/mixing, unless we're talking about checking the mix for a random headphone mix. The studio monitor thing is misunderstood, apparently. They're for "in-studio talent" ie. vocalists, so they can listen to the track while recording their vocals without having that background track bleeding into the vocal track. As for production/sounds - that's what actual studio monitors are for. If someone told me they produced and mixed a track using headphones, I'd assume they were a rookie and their mixes sound like garbage because that would be the result 99% of the time (the other 1% would be pure luck).

Tech Convert

ive had my 50s since they first came out and i love em! both live djin and in the studio. I too bought an extra pair just for gigs and a pair for practice. Ive only had to get 1 set of replacement earpads since Ive had my first pair and I wear them on a daily basis of 2-8hrs at a time depending on wat im doing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12