looking for a 4 channel mixer... help?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default looking for a 4 channel mixer... help?

Hey DJ Tech Fools, whats up?

right now im looking into finding a decent 4 channel dj mixer, but i dont know what to look for. ive seen a ton of them, but im not looking for anything super special. just a 4 channel that doesnt sound like 1 dollar headphones, and has a decent crossfader, because i do some scratching.

i use 2 turntables on a DVS setup, but am looking to expand my setup and a 4 channel mixer seems great.
    i decided it was time to upgrade now, as i just lost my current mixer in a tragic "dorm-room-shelf-fell-off-the-wall-and-broke-every-fader-off-the-front-of-my-mixer" accident. R.I.P. Pmc-05-pro...

anyways, ive decided that i should look into a 4 channel mixer, and i need your guys help. i dont want to spend a ton of cash into a new mixer, as i hinted on before, im in college and i need to save my pennies. but DJing is something i will not just put aside due to an accident.

TL:DR
    good 4 channel mixers at a low price.
    ~2 X Gemini XL 500II~ I ~Vestax PMC-05 PROII~ I ~Audio 4 DJ~ I ~Traktor Scratch Pro 2~

define "at a low price". if you want dvs you may want to look at something like the denon x1600 since it has a tsp certified soundcard built in. otherwise you are gonna have to upgrade from your audio 4...

you could also look at the z2 since it's 2+2 channel and priced nicely. i would go this route if you want to scratch because most 4 channel mixers aren't really built for that out of the box.

edit: you could also look at the djm t1 and do some mapping to give you more control over the 3rd and 4th decks.
    Last edited by squidot; 01-29-2013 at 11:14 PM.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Tech Guru

12" or 19" format...?

12": Vestax 004xl (~$400 on ebay)
    19": Denon X-500 (~$300 on ebay)

Neither is awesome for scratching...but both are solid, very well built, have very little noise even in the red, and are great value for $$$.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Mentor

DDM4000 with an Innofader dropped in. I got mine for $300 USD brand new awhile back from Amazon, and many setup changes later, it is still with me. Full effects section, sampler, and MIDI-mappable, it really is hard to beat it when it comes to the price/features ratio. Some people complain that the level faders and crossfader feel a bit cheap (hence the Innofader recommendation), but given the way I mix I really don't mind. I am a mix/club DJ, not much scratching/turntablism, so take this all with a grain of salt. At $300-400 for a brand spankin' new 4-channel feature-laden mixer, I have found it really is difficult to do better.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

op is also going to have to upgrade to an audio 8/10 to make any non-certified 4 channel mixer work to it's potential. that's another ~$150-$500. then have to look into an innofader if he's serious about scratching. cheap 4 channel mixers don't start looking that cheap any longer.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

For info, guys, the x-fader on the DDM4000 is perfectly fine for scratching.

It's nice and smooooooth - but the cut-in is not great.

Nothing you can't sort our with teh ol' credit card mod, though... I did it, and it's fine.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

I was like you few months ago, considering what 4 channel mixer to get. I ended up with DN-x1600 cuz it's traktor certified and innofader installation seems easy. Now I've been using this for months now and I still haven't installed innofader... the stock one is actually alright. And since you use traktor, the midi mapping capability on x1600 is endless.

Last but not least, x1600 seems to have better resale value than DDM4000.

Banned

I saw a mint condition x1600 sell for $500 on ebay. Not sure about that resale value. How is that mixer, btw?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by squidot View Post
    op is also going to have to upgrade to an audio 8/10 to make any non-certified 4 channel mixer work to it's potential. that's another ~$150-$500. then have to look into an innofader if he's serious about scratching. cheap 4 channel mixers don't start looking that cheap any longer.
    i have an audio 4 currently, but i only need 2 audio decks for traktor, as i have other sources to put in the mixer, like a friend's laptop running maschine, and another turntable (maybe soon CDJ). im not looking for 4 decks of traktor, just the ability to have 4 inputs at one time
    ~2 X Gemini XL 500II~ I ~Vestax PMC-05 PROII~ I ~Audio 4 DJ~ I ~Traktor Scratch Pro 2~

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by bassgoesmeow View Post
    I saw a mint condition x1600 sell for $500 on ebay. Not sure about that resale value. How is that mixer, btw?
    lol. I got mine for $600 and was considering it a steal until now.
    Well, then forget about the resale value, for only $500 you got yourself a decent traktor certified mixer with strong midi mapping capabiility. Isn't this just another reason to grab this mixer?

I am a turntablist and my ear aren't trained enough to tell the quality of sound from the mixer to be honest, but there are positive reviews about this mixer. And if you like to use on-mixer-fx a lot, x1600 performs similarly to pioneer DJM series (many cheezy fx, some are nice, some you just never gonna use them). The fx functions a lot like the pioneer djm700. You don't have HPF/LPF for individual channel but you got a big one on the fx section and it can be used either to filter the selected channel, or simply filter the fx (something you won't be able to do with DJM800 model).

The channel faders aren't loose enough for scrathcing, but the xfader is decent. I have ttm56s for practicing my kuts and had a djm 700 for mixing. The xfader actually performs well, and the channel faders IMHP, are sturdier than the djm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast