The New Macbook Pro Retina And Traktor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The New Macbook Pro Retina And Traktor

Hey DJTT, I'm going to be upgrading my 2 year old MBP for the new MBPR soon, and I have a few questions for the guys out there that already have the MBPR, and that are running Traktor and NI hardware on it. Have you had or do you have any issues with Traktor, and or NI hardware?

I remember when the MBPR was first released that people where having issues with the USB 3. I'm not sure if things have been resolved since then, but at present are there any issues going around that I should be aware of before buying? Is the NI hardware, and software playing nice with the MBPR? Do you guys have any advice or suggestions before going ahead and buying it?

I've been thinking of also bumping up the speed, and the RAM for safe measure. Thanks guys, you are all awesome!
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

MBPR have been known to run extremely hot (with regular use, dont know about when using DJ apps) and are not able to be upgradable after its purchased (RAM soldered in) as far as USB 3 i believe they have fixed it AFAIK but not 100% sure

I want one but even my 15" MBP non retina runs hotter than i would like (in the 50s to 60s) , congratz on your future purchase

Tech Guru

There are no more USB 3 issues with Mac when using the newest NI drivers.

50-60 degrees is not hot at all for a laptop in use; most Macbooks easily reach 90C+ under heavy load.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Well thats good news!

My MBP runs hot many times, especially when watching movies etc. I've never checked how hot it gets when using Traktor, but I've never had any issues with my MBP and Traktor until now. Isn't it normal anyway for a computer to get hot when it gets busy?
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

they just run really damned hot, no idea why....

Quote Originally Posted by DJMichaelHavok View Post
    they just run really damned hot, no idea why....
    It's true, I run on a 15.4' Retina Display MBP and man that shit gets hot. I sold my S4 a few months ago and when I sold it I had to keep using a Kext editor and reverting bcak to the old Kexts. Glad it seems to be fixed now, cause it was a pain in the ass, especially cause I used a Komplete Audio 6 and for the KA6 to work I had to put it back to USB3.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    It's true, I run on a 15.4' Retina Display MBP and man that shit gets hot. I sold my S4 a few months ago and when I sold it I had to keep using a Kext editor and reverting bcak to the old Kexts. Glad it seems to be fixed now, cause it was a pain in the ass, especially cause I used a Komplete Audio 6 and for the KA6 to work I had to put it back to USB3.
    sounds almost identical to what a friend of mine had to go through... Big reason when it was time to upgrade i went with an elitebook, 8 gigs of mem, i7, firewire tons of USB, HD audio etc etc etc... ill never use a macbook again after i got this thing all sat up.... and it runs cool all the time no matter the load

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/hp-elite...-33971326.html

tossed a link incase you may consider other options than the retina.

his MBPR crashed and locked up the other night because of heat + packed house and no AC it seemed, had to use mine to finish out his set

Tech Guru

There is no way a quad core i7 in a laptop enclosure will stay cool at continuous 100% load. All laptop processors run hot and are less powerful when compared to the desktop equivalent.

The Elitebook looks like a good alternative to the non-retina MBP but those going for the retina probably don't want a low res screen, or a chunky laptop twice the thickness.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

I got given a 2011/2012 pre-Retina MBP, and I swear it constantly feels like the damn thing is going to melt whenever I put it on a soft surface (lap, duvet, couch, etc). Not to mention the HDD beeps every time you touch the chassis. If I was DJing in a high-profile environment (city centre venue, concert, etc) I wouldn't trust a MBP not to burst into flames or just generally fail mid-way through a set.

Although, the clubs around here can get up to around 30 degrees C ambient, so heat dissipation is going to be a worry WHATEVER machine you get tbh.

EDIT: With that said, if I was going to actually BUY a laptop, I'd probably go for a ThinkPad.

Tech Convert

I have the rMBP and absolutely love it. I have no problems with Trakor Scratch Pro 2.6, S4, F1 and time code vinyl.

@mdcdesign, you're plugging the air intakes under the hinge when you set it down on soft or plush surface. Keep a magazine or something under the MBP when you have it on a couch. bed etc. The rMBP has better air circulation, I haven't had similar problems with it.
    15" rMBP, Traktor Pro, S4, F1, VCI-100, 2x SL 1200MK3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast