Future DJ Question
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Future DJ Question

Hey,
    I needed some input for my future DJ set up and I have a few questions.

My set up would be as follows:
    DJ Software: Traktor
    Mixer: Kontrol Z2
    Turntables: ???
    Midi Controllers: Either 2 Midi Fighter Spectra's or 1 Midi Fighter Spectra and 1 Maschine MK2

I'm on a REALLY tight budget and as we all know, DJ equipment isn't cheap. With that said, here are my questions.
    1: What turntables should I get? So far, I found that Stanton turntables run relatively cheap. Anyone have any suggestions?
    2: What midi controller should I get? I really love the concept of the Midi Fighter Spectra and I'm definitely getting at least one. But I also see DJ's using the Maschine. Which would you prefer?

Thanks for your help.

-ThePhanatik116

Tech Wizard

You will need the timecode kit if you are going with turntables, which is another expense.
    With turntables, you get what you pay for, so if you sit on your money, and save up for a decent set, it will pay off, plus they will hold their resale value.

What set up did you have previously?

Quote Originally Posted by sev View Post
    You will need the timecode kit if you are going with turntables, which is another expense.
    Nope - the Z2 comes with Scratch Pro 2 and control vinyl.

I recommend Technics 1200s or 1210s. There's probably no need to go for anything beyond mk2s for using Traktor. Check out this thread: http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=47069

I have and love Maschines. I played with the Spectra a lot, but I would recommend Maschine over it simply because there's more there.

Quote Originally Posted by sev View Post
    With turntables, you get what you pay for, so if you sit on your money, and save up for a decent set, it will pay off, plus they will hold their resale value.

What set up did you have previously?
    Right now all I have is a Numark iDJ3. Which doesn't work with anything except VirtualDJ LE.

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    Nope - the Z2 comes with Scratch Pro 2 and control vinyl.

I recommend Technics 1200s or 1210s. There's probably no need to go for anything beyond mk2s for using Traktor. Check out this thread: http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=47069

I have and love Maschines. I played with the Spectra a lot, but I would recommend Maschine over it simply because there's more there.
    There is more to do with Maschines. I do eventually want to get one because I also want to do some producing in Ableton and a Maschine, I believe, has more variety than other drum machines or midi fighters. In my opinion at least. Plus it comes with Massive so that's also a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhanatik116 View Post
    I'm on a REALLY tight budget and as we all know, DJ equipment isn't cheap. With that said, here are my questions.
    Your proposed setup doesn't really scream "on a tight budget"... planning on using turntables and then buying a Z2 anyway just screams "more money than sense" to me, personally. Saying that, it all depends on where you'll be DJing, and what sort of music you play.

I wouldn't advise using turntables unless you're a scratch DJ, otherwise you might as well go for a decent all-in-one controller (or modulars, and then use a traditional mixer). A good combination would be a pair of Reloop Contour CEs (£79 each) and a Z2, or Behringer's new PL-1 if money's REALLY that tight.

If turntables are a must, have a look at the DJ Tech SL1300 Mk6; the only downside with them is that other DJs WILL laugh at you for using DJ Tech gear, but then again you're basically getting a Super OEM turntable for less than £300 for the pair, and everyone knows its all about the cartridges with TTs anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Your proposed setup doesn't really scream "on a tight budget"... planning on using turntables and then buying a Z2 anyway just screams "more money than sense" to me, personally. Saying that, it all depends on where you'll be DJing, and what sort of music you play.
    What?

If turntables are a must, have a look at the DJ Tech SL1300 Mk6
    Come on.

other DJs WILL laugh at you for using DJ Tech gear
    They very possibly might.

everyone knows its all about the cartridges with TTs anyway.
    For using timecode?

basic questions i guess haven't been asked yet tho..

how much experience do you have DJing already? and with what gear?

are you a TRUE starter to the art?

How old are you? if under 18... then you prolly won't be doing clubs for years, so your starter in home setup is gonna be cheaper

If over 18, do you intend on doing house parties, clubs, weddings, special events etc etc..

do you have a PA set up already?
    if no, you will need atleast 1 powered speaker

also, you dont have to use turntables, a lot of people completely stopped, i know i did, timecode is fun, but i like being more modular, so are turntables going to be necessary since it is in fact kind of a dying art within the occupation world (turntablists prolly hate me for saying that, just an opinion) turntables, used are gonna run you 1500.00 for 2 used tech1200s with fresh needles imo

anyway, little more info and can def lead you the right way

Tech Wizard

Getting turntables or not depending on whether you scratch or not. Turntables are rare these days.
    I personally have a pair of techs at home (just fixed my mk5's tonearm today, pain really), but there are many other options that will do the same job as the techs. Stanton Str8 150 has good reputation, and other brands like Numark & vestax have few tables that are designed for scratch. Technics are something good to have, but not necessary.

And for the MIDI controller, you do have more control with maschine because of the extra buttons and knobs. Tho itself is about twice as big as midifighter and the arcade button on MF feels amazing . I'd say go for Maschine if you plan on using knobs to control traktor, otherwise two midifighters should be okay.

+A million.

And everyone knows its all about the cartridges with TTs anyway.
    Have you ever played on TTs without a lot of torque !?

If you're on a REALLY tight budget why don't you look at something like a Kontrol S2 + Korg Nanopad if you wanna play around.

But to awnser your questions:

1: Get technics or you'll regret it. Keep in mind technics aren't the best turntables out there. But it's technics that you want.

2: If you really want the maschine software & massive get a maschine. If you play around with midi things for your DJ sets a Midi Fighter or korg nano pad might be better.
    I have a maschine and I never use it in my DJ sets. Also for producing/live performance I 'd look at Ableton Push.
    And if you give us an actual budget we might be able to help you more.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast