Is VCI 300 MK2 the best option for scratching?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Is VCI 300 MK2 the best option for scratching?

I need a small and compact size controller to jam with my bboyz crew, im really into turntablism so I want a controller that do this kinda job. forget about the NS7, that thing is huge, if i can bring that out, there is no point of not to bring a full setup with bunch of vinyls. So compact and responsive is all I want.
    I did some research online but still need real time users opinons. anyway, my candidates are VCI 380, VCI 300 MK2, and Spin2 (really cool that you can throw a jam with just an iphone and a ghettoblaster)

If you're just looking for a nicely integrated controller that's small with a decent jog wheel setup.....why not the Traktor S2?

They all won't be at the level of real DVS but that's not what you're after anyways. The VCIs are great too but if you're just looking for basic mixing.....you don't really need the pads and other gizmos....
    A&H Xone DB4 l (2) Traktor Kontrol X1 MK2 l Maschine MK2 l Traktor Scratch Pro l Ableton
    Avalon (Hollywood) l Exchange LA (Los Angeles) l DS#ARP LA (Los Angeles) l Undercurrent (San Diego) l Frenzy Afterhours (Los Angeles) l AL Party (Los Angeles) l Spin (San Diego) l Sutra (Orange County) l Monarch (San Francisco)

Tech Wizard

S2's jog wheels are way too small to scratch...

Tech Guru

Yes. VCI-300 by far.

I've used or owned an NS7, NS6, DDJ-S1, VCI-100 with FW 1.4, NI S4, CDJ's in HID and timecode both with Traktor and SSL and BY FAR (aside from the NS7 or actual 1200's) the VCI-300 has the best jogs. The tension adjust helps alot, the space to work with is small and you might feel a bit cramped on the crossfader, but the cut is sharp and the jogs are the most responsive. Also, you can grab one fairly cheap these days second hand and in a few months you'll get a free update to Serato DJ. I wouldn't think twice about it.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

I had a 300 & it was brilliant with Itch for scratching, much better than an S4 & Traktor
    SC | MC

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by epikeddie View Post
    If you're just looking for a nicely integrated controller that's small with a decent jog wheel setup.....why not the Traktor S2?
    The S2/S4's has by far the worst touch jogwheels I've ever personally encountered on a controller. You'd be better off with a mixtrack than with an S2/S4.

I'd throw my vote for the 380 personally. The overall quality jumps up quite a bit from the 300 to the 380, and the functionality jumps even more.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyflip View Post
    The S2/S4's has by far the worst touch jogwheels I've ever personally encountered on a controller.
    I'd throw my vote for the 380 personally. The overall quality jumps up quite a bit from the 300 to the 380, and the functionality jumps even more.
    Totally agree!380 ifd can spend a little more cash,if not, a VCI-300 is very nice, I own a VCI-100 and it is little bit too small for scratching but I can manage it...

Last edited by pARtybOy; 01-30-2013 at 07:12 PM.
    http://soundcloud.com/partyb0y
    http://soundcloud.com/partyb0y3
    MB BlackE2008 C2D 2.2ghz 4GB WD500GB + OSX 10.7.4 + Stanton SCS.1m + Stanton SCS.1d + Virtual DJ 8 : Traktor Pro 2.6 + Audio 2 DJ + VCI-100 mk1.4

IMO vci 380 has the best jogs for scratching because of the LED finder as well as tension adjust

vci400 in serato dj will probably be baddass too but without the LED

then check out other serato dj jogs after that like the reloop terminals, they don't have tension adjust tho

only s2/s4 have the hi res for traktor and I don't like the way they work, small and clicky... anything else in traktor is midi and IMO not ideal for scratching,

have heard VDJ can get quite tight, i'm interested to know too... what about controller jogs mapped to VDJ, mixvibes, algorithimdj, anyone know are any of mappings on par with serato itch/DJ jogs?

i have heard bad stories from a lot of vci300 owners who say that the jogwheels are like timebombs - they are gonna go bad no matter what

there is this dj school kinda thing over here in singapore that was like 10 vci300 mk1/mk2's in the studio and all of them shared a common problem over time - the jogwheels gonna go bad and lose some kinda control, they said they need to open up the jogwheels and put some conducting grease stuff or something, im wondering if others have experienced this "hard to maintain" hardware?

almost all of the vci300 they have, have problematic jogwheels now, that always requires DIY fixing
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

Tech Guru

The jogs on the VCI 300 and 100 are the same inside. I've always opened it up and grease them up'ed and never had issues. Not sure if the 380 and 400's have the same construction. Even with the 380 and 400 out the feature set that Serato DJ has will be midi mappable except for the Slicer so unless that's something you really want, you can achieve the same with a VCI-300 and for the price it's a much better bargain. Check out this vid that was posted on the Serato Itch forum last week. This thing is just fun.

SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast