VBR Hatred
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VBR Hatred

Default VBR Hatred

Am I the only one, or does anyone else absolutely hate VBR MP3s?

I usually like to have everything 320kbps CBR, but sometimes VBR tracks slip through, and they ALWAYS sound shite in comparison

Cool story bro.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Then your source is shitty. Most audiophiles can't hear the difference between a FLAC and a v0.
    On a decent PA you just might hear a slight difference, but when the room is packed with people, nobody will hear it.
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

Quote Originally Posted by Audeo View Post
    Then your source is shitty. Most audiophiles can't hear the difference between a FLAC and a v0.
    On a decent PA you just might hear a slight difference, but when the room is packed with people, nobody will hear it.
    Oh it probably wouldn't matter for club use; can barely hear the lyrics in half the tracks you hear played in the city... it's painfully noticable at home though. Midtones tend to sound muddy and the highs seem to be truncated at certain points, but it's very random.

Tech Mentor

Have you done a double blind comparison? I only hear vbr as sounding worse if i can see that its vbr our ears can play funny tricks on us sometimes.

i actually found vbr to be a bit more acceptable than some 192kbps mp3's

i used to buy LEGIT mp3's off dance-tunes.com (owned by id&t records i think) back then and all of the mp3's were 192 kbps, that was like 5 years ago, looking back now and seeing i paid a lot of money for those 192 kbps mp3s just breaks my heart
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

*Cue a 4 page thread about audio quality*
    hides
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Wizard

Never use less then 320kbs when playing out imo. GIGO. In a club your audio is going through multiple mixers, compressors, crossovers, amplifiers, wires and then speakers. Each chain imparts it's own sounds/problems that affect SQ. The better the sound quality out of your rig, the better it sounds to your crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by nubz69 View Post
    Never use less then 320kbs
    Correct, but there is no audible difference between 320CBR and v0 VBR. v0 just uses less space. It's like comparing FLAC to Wav.
    The only gripe is that CDJ1000mk3's don't play nice with VBR
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

Tech Guru

A well encoded VBR file will be indistinguishable from the source material. Are you reencoding Youtube rips to 128k VBR or something?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast