Taking off knobs - damages the potentiometer?

Default Taking off knobs - damages the potentiometer?

i was wondering, after changing caps, taking them off and putting them on again, have you ever experienced that some potentiometers feel different afterwards, in terms of more easy going/ smoother / less resistance?

I just finished assembling my shruthi-1 and had to remove the caps 3 times. Afterwards, or maybe i just havenīt noticed it before, one knob just feels more easy going, smoother in terms of less resistance. I worried if damaged it.
    I was thinking to give it a go with nice DJTT caps, but worried to risk more damage..
    Last edited by monoaural; 02-03-2013 at 05:03 AM.
    MacBookPro 13" i7, OSX 10.9, Traktor Pro 2.6.5, Ableton 9, monome gs128, Army of midifighters, OP-1, Octatrack, iPad

I doubt it, unless you have somehow bent the potentiometer. No problems here
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by monoaural View Post
    i was wondering, after changing caps, taking them off and putting them on again, have you ever experienced that some potentiometers feel different afterwards, in terms of more easy going/ smoother / less resistance?

I just finished assembling my shruthi-1 and had to remove the caps 3 times. Afterwards, or maybe i just havenīt noticed it before, one knob just feels more easy going, smoother in terms of less resistance. I worried if damaged it.
    I was thinking to give it a go with nice DJTT caps, but worried to risk more damage..
    It's POSSIBLE, but not likely. I've had it happen once or twice, but only with poor quality pots. The good news is, replacing a pot is not - in itself - a particularly difficult task

@jester
    iīm pretty sure the shaft is not bent. itīs a plastic shaft. i think i would break before bent.

@mcdesign
    i think these are ALPS potis. well, the good news, arenīt do good. as i soldered the potis i could barely push the little feets through the PCB holes. they stuck pretty strong on the PCB, i think desolder and removing them would be a very hard task.

what exactly happened once or twice?

In the end i could resist. I grew up with "the Program with the Mouse". Some of you probably know. I opened a spare poti to have a look inside. Now its much more clearer for me. Iīm pretty sure i havent damaged anything. See that white grease. I think thats the reason why all potis just all feel a bit different compared with each other. I my opinion i depends how much grease is involved. Now i understand, why potis just gets smoother when using them and "warming up" the grease just gets more fluent. This experiment cost me 68 cents. Definitely worth for spent.-)

IMG_5845.jpg
    MacBookPro 13" i7, OSX 10.9, Traktor Pro 2.6.5, Ableton 9, monome gs128, Army of midifighters, OP-1, Octatrack, iPad

Agreed! Money well spent.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by monoaural View Post
    @mcdesign
    i think these are ALPS potis. well, the good news, arenīt do good. as i soldered the potis i could barely push the little feets through the PCB holes. they stuck pretty strong on the PCB, i think desolder and removing them would be a very hard task.

what exactly happened once or twice?
    On mine, the pot actually became significantly stiffer, to the point where you could actually feel it binding at certain points in its rotation.