Speakers for home DJ use and small parties
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Speakers for home DJ use and small parties

Hi all,

First post so be gentle.

I am a complete speaker noob. But I am looking for a new speaker setup for say an S4. I currently use Harman Kardon soundsticks, which are good for my room but when I take them to a party or try to crank them up for a pre party they just don't cut it.

So I am in the market for some new speakers, but ones that are good enough for home use and incase I have a few people over, should be no more than 15 people. It's a medium sized room.

I don't fancy forking out for monitors as I know once a few drinks have been consumed they will eventually get blown.

I was perhaps looking at these;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3105827505...=p5197.c0.m619

Or will I be better with a small PA active speakers such as;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-QTX-So...11005664951%26

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tech Wizard

I can highly recommend the second pair, the QTX speakers because ive used a pair and still have a pair for the exact reason you want them.

They are excellent speakers for house parties and with the stands they'll be perfect for any use in your home. They really really loud as well, like amazingly loud. I own a pair of 300 wat speakers and my little 150watt QTX pair are still close to their loudness.

If your gonna do a bigger venue than, like, a 10 x 20 room, youll need bigger speakers but definitely the QTX speakers
    Toshibha Satellite, 8GB RAM, Intel i3 processor, 2.40 GHz -Hercules Dj Control Steel -Traktor Pro 2 -Midi Fighter: Beatmasher
    -QTX sound Powered 150 WATT Speakers

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by LIVEMAU5 View Post
    I can highly recommend the second pair, the QTX speakers because ive used a pair and still have a pair for the exact reason you want them.

They are excellent speakers for house parties and with the stands they'll be perfect for any use in your home. They really really loud as well, like amazingly loud. I own a pair of 300 wat speakers and my little 150watt QTX pair are still close to their loudness.

If your gonna do a bigger venue than, like, a 10 x 20 room, youll need bigger speakers but definitely the QTX speakers
    Thanks -

And do you know if these will fit nicely with an S4?

I own a pair of 300 wat speakers and my little 150watt QTX pair are still close to their loudness.
    For future reference, SPL has more to do with how "loud" your speakers are than watts.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by joemanton View Post
    Thanks -

And do you know if these will fit nicely with an S4?
    What do you mean by fit nicely, like match its style? work well with it?

QUOTE=sobi;582399]For future reference, SPL has more to do with how "loud" your speakers are than watts.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, just trying to find some time of relation to compare for a novice like me
    Toshibha Satellite, 8GB RAM, Intel i3 processor, 2.40 GHz -Hercules Dj Control Steel -Traktor Pro 2 -Midi Fighter: Beatmasher

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    For future reference, SPL has more to do with how "loud" your speakers are than watts.
    SPL has EVERYTHING to do how loud speakers will get.

To use a broken analogy....if SPL is like "speed", then watts is like "gallons of gas used on the trip."
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Mentor

So in terms of SPL, are the QTX's good and loud enough?

The parties should never be no more than 15-20 as my place isn't huge, and my room is too big (where they will be mostly used) so think I will go for them.

Reviews are good online anyway.

How is the bass on them when they are high up?

Tech Mentor

What do you mean by fit nicely, like match its style? work well with it?
    Sorry, what I mean is, I can just plug and go? As they may be on the move quite a bit so if I can just link them straight to my output then that would be perfect.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by joemanton View Post
    So in terms of SPL, are the QTX's good and loud enough?

The parties should never be no more than 15-20 as my place isn't huge, and my room is too big (where they will be mostly used) so think I will go for them.

Reviews are good online anyway.

How is the bass on them when they are high up?
    The max SPL is 123dB, thats for one, so two of them together are great. The first time i used them was at my girlfriends house party and they were so i got a complaint from the local council.... But, we never knew where the complaint came from because no one lived near the house, the closest person was 2 streets away haha

The bass is good for such small speakers, I dont have a stand (im going to buy some though, that deal you have on ebay is unbelievable considering the speakers themsevles when orginally sold were £200 all together) so i had to put them on tables and the bass is so strong they move along the table sometimes.

Its pretty simple, their Active speakers so you just plug them into a power outlet and play, in terms of audio connecton if you have a simple phono output you just need one male to male cable for each speaker, connect your controller and thats it. Its so simple.

I have to say i highly recommend these speakers, they can take some beating and have great sound quality. My only problem with mine is because I dont have stands they have fell a few times, causing some internal damage which means i have to shake them to fix them but considering the height they fell and the times ive done it and the damage they have recieved, im surprised they still work.

Just a picture of the speakers in reference to their size, sorry i dont have a better picture.

zvsdsdgsgde.jpg

Tech Mentor

Thanks,

Think I will probably go for them.

Great price, and I suppose when I'm at home I can just have one linked up to save the complaints.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast