How do I transition from a Higher BPM (140) -to- a much slower BPM (88) - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    I think oilythread was making the point that Drum'n'Bass isn't 88, it's 176.

Either that, or he was just saying that trap is shit, in which case I wholeheartedly agree.
    This. thank you. Also Trap is 70, not 140 (or fuck, it's probably the only genre that you could make a legitimate case that it's quarter-timed.... at 35bpm).

The larger point was that if he's saying Drum n Bass is slower than trap, I want to light him on fire.

Also.... A trap DJ asking newbie questions... Really, we're done here.

Quote Originally Posted by oilythread View Post
    This. thank you. Also Trap is 70, not 140 (or fuck, it's probably the only genre that you could make a legitimate case that it's quarter-timed.... at 35bpm).

The larger point was that if he's saying Drum n Bass is slower than trap, I want to light him on fire.

Yes.. yes YES !!! smart ones. Trap is 70BPM (slow dancing) and DnB is fast dancing 150-170 BPM.

We have contact with higher cognitive brain function here !

>

Quote Originally Posted by oilythread View Post
    Who the fuck said I was a Trap DJ? Just because I made a Trap mix doesnt make me specifically a Trap DJ..
    And since your arrogant ass clearly didnt read my OP, heres the very first words in that post
    Quote Originally Posted by Starskii View Post
    Yes I am a beginner
    a trap DJ asking newbie questions.. never said anything about being a Trap DJ over making 1 Trap mix and asking newbie questions.. uhh yea, as I said Im a "beginner" then obviously im new and dont kno alot of shit.. hence why I made the thread asking the question about transition and clearly not about weather Trap is 140 BPM or 40...
    idiot, "were done here."

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    Yes.. yes YES !!! smart ones. Trap is 70BPM (slow dancing) and DnB is fast dancing 150-170 BPM.

We have contact with higher cognitive brain function here !

>
    Whether a song is 70 bpm or 140 bpm, any argument about half time or fractioned tempo, is all a matter of perspective. Unless you verify at the source whatever speed the song was produced at, 70 bpm is just as accurate as 140 bpm. Now, the fact that beat matching tends to be easier and more accurate at higher bpms can be brought up, but that once again is a matter of personal taste. I think you guys getting all personal about your music genres and tempos makes you sound more like punters or music enthusiasts, than actual djs.

Also, I find the echo freeze works well when you set it to the tempo of the in coming track instead of the track that is playing. It might mess up your sync, since you need the "Master" tempo to be that of the track that isn't actually live yet, but it's still a cool effect. You hit the echo freeze, and it causes the current track to lurch against it's own tempo. It throws people off, but when you bring in the new track, it lays on top of the "intentional trainwreck" perfectly!
    Last edited by Culture_Shock; 02-06-2013 at 02:23 AM. Reason: because I don't want to derail
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

Quote Originally Posted by Culture_Shock View Post
    Also, I find the echo freeze works well when you set it to the tempo of the in coming track instead of the track that is playing. It might mess up your sync, since you need the "Master" tempo to be that of the track that isn't actually live yet, but it's still a cool effect. You hit the echo freeze, and it causes the current track to lurch against it's own tempo. It throws people off, but when you bring in the new track, it lays on top of the "intentional trainwreck" perfectly!
    Or as Ean mentions at 1:08, just pause the track that is playing after hitting freeze to have it match the tempo of the incoming track.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ErikMinekus View Post
    Or as Ean mentions at 1:08, just pause the track that is playing after hitting freeze to have it match the tempo of the incoming track.
    I've never had to juggle what track is the master because I don't use the sync button, but this is perfect!
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

PRACTICE BEATMATCHING!!! This is more important than you know. Not being arrogant but it is the basics, just like learning to tune your guitar, it's needed.

To answer your question, you can also ramp up the tempo on the lead track during a build to make it fit the half tempo of the next track. This is what I use when doing a drop transition. So let's say track A is 140 BPM, and track B is 78. Pitch track A up to 156 during a build up and cue track B so it syncs in time for the drop in track A, then slam the crossfader over to the track B at the right time. Works for me, may not work for you. Really just practice and enjoy, find what works and go with it.

Edit: this also works the other way, pitching down, and you can also pitch both to meet in the middle so the changes aren't too drastic.

Quote Originally Posted by DIGITaL MoNKEY View Post
    PRACTICE BEATMATCHING!!! This is more important than you know. Not being arrogant but it is the basics, just like learning to tune your guitar, it's needed.

To answer your question, you can also ramp up the tempo on the lead track during a build to make it fit the half tempo of the next track. This is what I use when doing a drop transition. So let's say track A is 140 BPM, and track B is 78. Pitch track A up to 156 during a build up and cue track B so it syncs in time for the drop in track A, then slam the crossfader over to the track B at the right time. Works for me, may not work for you. Really just practice and enjoy, find what works and go with it.

Edit: this also works the other way, pitching down, and you can also pitch both to meet in the middle so the changes aren't too drastic.
    Thanx bro ill def be practising this tonight

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234