Storing old music (digital warehousing)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Storing old music (digital warehousing)

Now here is a good question for all the DIGITAL djs out there.
    right now im looking at two folders i want to remove from my external drive.
    Combined they total about 300 gigs of just music.
    The music WAS for the radio station AND for my gigs but i really doubt im going to play any of these anytime soon.

Usually in the REALLY OLD DAYS, i would just burn them all the CD and keep them in a CD book and tuck it away right? Well not this time so i impose to all of you a simple question.

What are you doing with all your REALLY old tracks?
    How are you storing them without taking up any VALUABLE space in your equipment?

Honestly i do have a tonne of blank DVDs and i could just burn them as mp3 to them but lets face it
    a DVD is around 4 - 8 gigs right? And here i have 300 gigs of music to get rid of so now what?

i swear if someone says "Just upload it to some cloud company" im going to hunt you down and ask "... dude.. for real?" because theres no way im going to upload that much stuff.
    Would take about 2 weeks to do that lol

Tech Wizard

it wouldn't take as long as you think to use a cloud. Here are you options as I see it.

1. Cloud service
    2. Extra HD (2TB is about $99 on sale)
    3. Make a big torrent file and share it for a few months and hope it stays alive.

I have 2x1TB drives as mirrored backups of all my music. Drive space is really cheap.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Guru

You can get even a 3 TB drive for 100-150 easily, but they're not as stable as the 2 TB drives.

External HDD are the way to go though. They're so incredibly cheap now.

I had the same dilemma with my photos a while back; 6 months of photos for me comes to - on average - around 200GB, and just buying more and more hard drives just isn't feasible in the long run, plus drives fail eventually. I ended up getting an LTO tape drive; a 200GB LTO tape is around £5, and the drives aren't much more expensive. The only issue is that the older (cheaper) drives are only SCSI, so you need PCI slots on your motherboard. If you're running a PCI-E-only motherboard, or a laptop, you're basically shit out of luck, unless you want to drop £1200 on a new LTO drive.

Tech Mentor

I have a NAS drive which is basically network connected hard drive. Everytime i buy tracks a copy gets uploaded there and another onto the macbook. If i want to get rid of really old tunes off my macbook i can just delete them as i still have a copy on the network drive.

The drive costs about £100.

External HDDs for me.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

External drive
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

external ftw
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast