Can a Kaoss pad be used in an fx loop between an Audio 10 and mixer?

Default Can a Kaoss pad be used in an fx loop between an Audio 10 and mixer?

I was wondering if it would be possible to use an external fx unit like a Kaoss pad in a loop between an external mixer and an Audio 10? If so, would it be best used before or after Audio 10 for use in combination with Traktor fx?

Would the Kaoss pad be able to use the midi out from the audio 10 to keep the fx in time?

Is a Kaoss pad even still relevant now that Traktor has a loop recorder and macro fx?
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

Quote Originally Posted by djfunke View Post
    I was wondering if it would be possible to use an external fx unit like a Kaoss pad in a loop between an external mixer and an Audio 10? If so, would it be best used before or after Audio 10 for use in combination with Traktor fx?
    Frist, to be used in a loop, your mixer or audio device (e.g., Audio 10) would need to have an FX Send/Return. The Kaoss Pad (at least the KP3) can be used in an FX Send/Return loop and has a switch to select that. However, FX Send/Return in/outs are ususally not available on lower-end mixers...in that case, you can still use the Kaoss Pad (again, I am referring to the KP3) after the mixer on the main mixer signal. To do that just switch from send/return to "line" on the KP3.

Would the Kaoss pad be able to use the midi out from the audio 10 to keep the fx in time?
    Yes.

Is a Kaoss pad even still relevant now that Traktor has a loop recorder and macro fx?
    Sort of to you and how you want to use it...X/Y pad is difficult to exactly reproduce an effect combination...but can be visually more interesting for audience seeing you perform.
    Traktor: Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, DN-MC3000, DN-X1700
    Ableton: Launchpad, nanoKontrol2, LPK-25, BCR2000

My DJM-707 does have post fader fx send/return and I do currently have it connected in a loop to the Audio 10. What I'm wanting to do is add a Kaoss pad kp3 to that loop. So in the signal chain it would go- 707 > Audio 10 > KP3 > 707. Would this be feasible?
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

Tech Mentor

Why would you have it set-up like that?

Would you not just set it up with the Audio 10 providing the inputs per channel, and the master output, thus any fx are applied pre mixer, and the KP3 on the send / return so that its fx are applied per channel, post mixer? Meaning you can have the KP3 affecting either a clean signal, traktor fx affected signal on a single channel, or over the master mix output depending on where you assign your send / return path?

That said, I am unfamiliar with the 707. Does it have channel selectable send / return?
    Last edited by xs2man; 02-05-2013 at 02:34 PM.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

It has fx send buttons for the left channel, right channel, and mic. My problem is that when I press one of the fx send buttons, the audio level for that channel drops a good 3db after being sent through the Audio 10. As far as I know, there is no way of boosting the signal.

I've never had the opportunity to play with one, but I've always found the Kaoss pad fascinating. From what I have read, it is capable of boosting the input level to correct for the audio level drop when used in an fx loop. Hence my recent interest in using one. That, and I imagine one could create some interesting sounds when running fx through fx.