Midi Keyboard? Maschine or Maschine Mikro?
    Tech Wizard

Default Midi Keyboard? Maschine or Maschine Mikro?

So I am getting into making this new music making obsession. I was just curious if anyone knew or could recommend a good buy relatively inexpensive midi keyboard. I am a college student on a bit of a tight budget... And also should I get Maschine or Maschine Mikro? I know they are both relatively the same but I'm not sure which one people were suggesting. All the help I can get would be awesome.

I strongly recommend getting the full-size Maschine. There are tonnes of threads on this forum and others on Maschine vs Maschine Mikro but it's pretty easy to see the differences. Maschine hardware affords an impressive amount of control, where Mikro is really just the pads, and you'll find yourself looking at the software more.

I like Novation's keyboards. I recommended them earlier today. I like the 61SLmkII for a lot of reasons, but the ability to see a reference to what the knobs, faders, etc are doing on the controller's screen, just like on Maschines, is big for me.

Back at home I've got a Yamaha P-80 and a couple of Korgs, but when I moved up here I couldn't bring everything with me, so I ended up just grabbing the cheapest, shittiest 49-key MIDI keyboard I could off eBay... think I paid about £15 for an Evolution MK-149, and it works just fine for laying down tracks in Reason

EDIT: This is the EXACT model I've got: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/midi-contr...item20cf05c242

They go for bugger all on eBay, although usually they're collection only. It's also worth popping down to your local carboot sales as people often sell older keyboards for £20 or so; just check the back and make sure it's got MIDI out (5 pin DIN).
    Last edited by mdcdesign; 02-05-2013 at 04:29 AM.

I had the exact same choice regarding the Mikro/Full size just before christmas, and i picked up a Maschine mk 2 in the black friday sale (from DJTT no less) and if you've got the cash id go with the full Maschine.

Its an excellent piece of kit, and once you get used to where everything is and how it works its a doddle to use. The hardware is really tight with the software and you can make a track from scratch, without even glancing at the Laptop, and the Coloured pads really do give you some good feed back on your track as it playing.

Ive tinkered with making tracks on it, but im really liking it for finger drumming (inspired by the Mad zach and Basskleph videos) and want to use it in my setup as a sample board and remix type deck for loops and adding some spice to running loops in Traktor.
    Again the Coloured pads make it easy to see what's laid out where (orange for drums, purple for bass, whatever you set it as etc) and make it pretty smooth.
    A+H DB4, Technics 1210's x2, F1, X1MK2 x2, MaschineMk2, Akai LPK 25, MF3D, XDJ-1000 x2.

Tech Wizard

Thanks man that really helps considering that the same fellow (mad zack) inspired us both. He is funky fresh. I'm glad you said something about finger drumming!!