Severely Discouraging
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Severely Discouraging

Earlier this week, I was djing a house party with maybe 50-60 people, with a good portion of these number being people I know. And it was great.

Until one of the people there came up to me and started bitching about how I wasn't doing anything, about how I was just "letting the song play." He told me that he had heard my mixes and that they were great, but that my live performance left something to be desired.

And then he decided to start messing with my gear, turning knobs, and just generally pissing me off. Finally he went away.

The point is, for some reason this really really got me. And now I just don't want to do anything dj-related. Every time I start up VDJ just to mix up some songs for fun and to kill some time, all I can think about is getting bitched at, and I can't do it.

I don't know, maybe I'm just whiney. Any thoughts?

Edit: I'd also like to mention that my style of dj-ing is pretty minimal I guess, in that I don't use a lot of effects or anything. I guess I could, I just don't like to.
    Last edited by Lambox; 08-15-2009 at 03:36 PM.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

First off, before the dickhead came up to bitch, were people dancing and enjoying the music? Because if they were, then you know you're doing something right.
    It sounds like this kid was just being a punk and had nothing better to do...
    As long as you're playing tunes that people enjoy there's no need to get FX crazy. And even so, playing a house party is much different than a mix or a gig. It all depends on the party, but most of the time, people are there for the socializing/drinking/etc. and having someone spin music is just a bonus... so you're probably better off letting the tracks play out than doing quick changes/huge buildups and all anyways (again I say this really depends on the party).

Also, I used to use VDJ for a bit and I must say that the FX were really poor (I rarely rarely used them). I worked mainly on transitions and some EQing (basic stuff, but as long as people enjoy the music, who cares?).

And if you really do enjoy DJing (or anything for that matter), you can't let one person discourage you so much. Maybe he was jealous and drunk and had just been shut down by a girl? You never know... but if you're really curious, there's always the other 59 people at the party you can ask.

Don't give up buddy.

Yeah bro dont give in to jackasses like that guy... theres always one at a party or where ever you go and at the end of the day what has that guy got to show? Nothing... he just wants to make you feel bad cause he has a shitty life... just do your thing and get people dancing and having a good time and i agree with vly if its really getting on your nerves ask some of the people there what they thought about your set

just dont give in because some nob gives you flak just enjoy what you do
    Gear: Macbook Pro 13" , Traktor Scratch Pro, VCI-100 Arcade, PIONEER HDJ 2000, CDJ 400's, Audio 8, Midifighter

Tech Mentor

discouragement always comes in business sometimes. when it goes, go back to the reason you got into DJing. (this principle is useful in pretty much any business or whatever)

Tech Guru

lol sounds like he wasn't getting enough attention so decided to be "cool guy who knows the dj so hangs out in the dj booth until he embarasses the dj or himself"

don't sweat it man. assholes party too.

@Vly: Yeah the kid was hammered, has a reputation for being a mean drunk, and seemed out to piss me off. People seemed to be having a great time, and so was I, until all this happened. And I agree the effects are weak in VDJ, maybe I would use more of them if they were better, but for now it doesn't bother me. And like you said, the people are there to socialize and have fun at a party, it's not a nightclub.

@Engramik: I know, I guess I'm just over-sensitive about the whole thing. It's really what I love to do and when anyone ever has anything to say short of constructive criticism, I take it personally. Also, this guy is a vinyl dj. And by that I mean he owns the equipment. I've never heard him use it and I know for a fact it's not even at his house right now because he is letting a friend use it for the summer. I don't get it.

Other people came up to me and were telling me how much they liked the music, were impressed, etc (I'm not trying to brag, I'm just saying, maybe it was just him). And someone else that was at the party asked me to dj a party he's having in a couple weeks. It's still just discouraging.

@Alexlaine: I know, it just sucks. The whole reason I got into dj-ing, and being a musician in general, was so share my music with other people. When people don't like it, it's hard to find motivation.

edit: @Duerr: Lol that's true. I need a personal bouncer for these events...
    LamboxMusic.com

Tech Guru

^

it's a guy thing, it's in our genes to compete. The DJ at the party is elevated to alpha male status which means he will buck heads with the other alpha males as the other guys try any way they can to establish their status at the gathering.

we're animals at the best of times, throw booze/drugs into the mix and many men become beasts with only their natural instincts to rely on. If you want to continue DJing i suggest you get used to it and grow a tougher skin, my friend.

That's a good point. Especially about the the alcohol and drugs.

If you want to continue DJing i suggest you get used to it and grow a tougher skin, my friend.
    Lol I know. Since I'm relatively new to the whole thing, this is really one of the first times anyone's given me shit. I knew it was coming. I just didn't expect it to be from someone I know, I guess.
    LamboxMusic.com

touching your mixer?

I got a good mate that almost got his arse kicked for that, a complete stranger should be thrown down some stairs

some people are just jerks
    < Progressive | Trance | Full On Psy | Liquid DnB >
    < Xone:1D:22:2D + Vestax PadOne >

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    And then he decided to start messing with my gear, turning knobs, and just generally pissing me off.
    Mate that was the point where you smack the idiot in the face.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast