iTunes-LAME alt-preset insane? any thoughts?

Default anyone using iTunes-LAME?

Hey djtt,
    I've been using iTunes-LAME alt-preset insane? I do feel it sounds better than 320 in iTunes alone. Are there any other presets that are being used? I don't mind a slow rip, but quality is tops.
    -Erik
    Last edited by djerikt; 08-18-2009 at 06:12 PM.

Tech Mentor

I did a quick search on alt-preset insane, and it seems it's just "highest quality mp3 possible," which is just a 320... innit?

Well there are settings in the lame codec for mid/side stereo, low freq rolloff, and speed/quality. I guess the question is if anyone is using the program, and what settingS are working best

iTunes is fine for burning off mp3's, just make sure the "filter frequencies below 10hz" box isn't checked.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

well, thats sort of the question. I can't figure out if the preset in iTunes-LAME uses any of those switches for filter, stereo, or quality. Also, iTunes uses Fraunhofer codec and many people prefer LAME codec.
    When using the iTunes-LAME preset -alt -preset --insane, ripping from a store bought cd, it sounds like the bass is almost too loud, giving it a loud and crowded sound. the kick isn't punchy.