3.5mm To TRS or TS 1/4 inch ???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 3.5mm To TRS or TS 1/4 inch ???

I am taking one of my powered speakers to a small pool party.

My friends want to be able to play their iPods throughout the day.

Each one of my speakers has a 1/4 inch (TS/TRS) input. I only need one speaker at the party.

If I go TS, I know that the 3.5mm to TS adapter will merge the 3.5mm STEREO (Left/Right) signal into a TS cable MONO signal. All should be fine.

But if I have a STEREO 3.5mm to TRS adapter, what happens to the Left/ Right channels?

Will the speaker be looking for a balanced signal path and ignore one of the STEREO channels?

Therefore not getting both Left and Right audio signals to the output audio?

Thanks.

>

Tech Guru

What's the make & model of the speaker? That will be the best way to get a specific answer.

In general, a speaker is not the right place to mix stereo into mono. If you have any kind of mixer with a mono output capability...that would be the way to go.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Behringer B215D. Here is the diagram of the I/O panel:

http://www.behringer.com/assets/B208...5D_fig1_XL.png

this is very interesting:

http://www.rane.com/note109.html

>

Looks like the safe answer would be to take both speakers and a Stereo Y Adapter 3.5mm to dual RCA to 1/4 inch TS.

What a pain.

>

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    Looks like the safe answer would be to take both speakers and a Stereo Y Adapter 3.5mm to dual RCA to 1/4 inch TS.
    EDIT: I mis-understood your intent. So I am getting rid of my own posting of the Rane 109 tech note. The rest still applies.

Get this, or the equivalent. Plug your stereo source into channels 7 & 9, and pan both of those channels hard left. Then use the left output on the master and run that to the speaker.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-MG102C-.../dp/B000Z7C9T8
    Last edited by soundinmotiondj; 02-09-2013 at 11:13 PM.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

It's so annoying that the cheapest powered speakers have Stereo RCA inputs:

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PPHP8...wered+speakers

>

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post

>
    I'll be doing this for FREE ^

My best guess is to say that you'd get your left channel only while the right would be sent to ground but it depends on the internal wiring of the cable, really. I'd say test it beforehand. Worst case is the left & right cancel each other out or seriously degrade the signal. Best case is you get your left channel.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Mono Audio -> On

Took me 5 seconds to get to it, then run a 3.5mm -> 1/4" jack into the speaker. If you use a Y splitter as a passive summing box, you WILL fry your input, as that Rane note says.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast