Problems with limiter in Traktor - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Oh lol yeah. I read past that part. You got two tops, zero subs. There's your problem. those 15" are allright for lowmids to highs, but no bass.
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

Tech Guru

If you're having to turn your low knob to max to get a good sound out of 15" PA speakers, either something is wrong with your system somewhere, or something is wrong with your hearing.

To fill a club with bass you'll of course need proper subs, but you also wouldn't be using these more mobile speakers in the first place.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by Era 7 View Post
    low EQ to the max?! what the hell? turn it down.
    This! If you ain't gettin enough bass from 2 15's add a sub or upgrade your speakers.

Knowing mid-class 15" full range speakers.. they'll probably have a roll-off @ 100 ~ 80hz.
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

A simple test you can do to check the phase of your speakers is to pan the master to either the left or right and see if you get a fuller signal from that channel. It if feels thinner as you pan to both speakers, you've got a phase issue.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Convert

Thanks for your input guys.

I also suspected that the Mixtrack Pro's sound card isn't up to scratch.

On the sound side, no I am not expecting club bass from my Wharfedales. They are midrange speakers but they are capable of producing decent clean punchy bass notes. I am not after deep sub 40Hz bass. I have heard many EVP's in action and they perform very well without a bass bin.

The problem seems to be on the signal side of things. The RCA into XLR cables were bought from a sound shop.

The power amp just amplifies whatever signal you give it. So the issue is definitely on the signal side.

I am going to put a mixer in line this weekend and see what difference it makes. The amp can receive both balanced and unbalanced input signals and I have tried changing the cables as well.

I had a chat with another buddy last night and he says whenever they do gigs with there S2 and S4's they always plug into a mixer before sending the signal to the amp.

Thanks for all the responses. I will keep you guys posted.

Oh and my setup is in a large room, not a club.
    Last edited by Taka; 02-12-2013 at 12:45 AM.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    A simple test you can do to check the phase of your speakers is to pan the master to either the left or right and see if you get a fuller signal from that channel. It if feels thinner as you pan to both speakers, you've got a phase issue.
    I have done that as well as run the amp in mono mode with a single signal input. No luck.

Mind you two weekends ago I plugged my mixtrack into another setup at a house party. When I was done playing, the owner plugged in his laptop and played music via Windows Media Player. I remember now he told me that the music had much more bass compared to when I played. I played with headroom at -3db, limiter on and low EQ at halfway mark.

His setup was a smallish Gemini power amp hooked up to two 12 inch tops. Short unbalanced RCA to 1/4 jack cables with no interference issues. The little setup churned out more bass than mine and I was left baffled. That is when went home and turned up my low EQ's to max and was impressed by the bass I then got from the setup but at expense of the other frequencies.

I'll plug in some other sources and check tonight. If it works then it may just be that the Mixtracks sound card is not up to scratch as a another user suggested whom also had bass issues with his BCD3000 which as is the case with the Mixtrack is a budget controller.
    Last edited by Taka; 02-12-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Sounds like the mixtrack may be the culprit then.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Convert

I think so too Sir. I'll keep you experts posted.

If it is the Mixtrack then i wonder is it faulty or are all Mixtracks not suited for direct connection to power amps. I see so any packages being sold on the net where Mixtracks are sold with RCA to 1/4 inch jack cables and power amps and tops.

I'm plugging in a S4 this weekend as well to test soundcards.

Tech Guru

The Mixtrack only has unbalanced outs which are generally unsuitable for amps, unless they specifically have unbalanced inputs available. The best test would be connecting the Mixtrack through something that can generate a balanced signal like a mixer or DI box.

I'd also check the difference between using the unbalanced RCAs and balanced 1/4 inch jack outputs of the S4 when you get around to testing that.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast