Ikea DJ Booth Problems !! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I'm with FV here...

Who's gonna see me Jesus pose with those bloody huge shelves in the way?!?

Oh I totally agree that you should be able to see the dj. I just think he made HUGE (unfounded) assumptions about Sobi's dj style based on one comment. Maybe Sobi isn't an extrovert and thinks the music is the most important aspect of a gig. I dunno!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    Maybe Sobi isn't an extrovert and thinks the music is the most important aspect of a gig. I dunno!
    This. I couldn't give two shits if the audience can see me or not; I sneak the occasional look at the audience to make sure that they're still happy, but my job is to perform music, not to soak up admiration from pressing play. If you're not too busy to "interact with the audience" you're doing it wrong.
    For Sale: Handmade Custom DJ Cables - RCA / TRS / XLR!
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1
    Latest Mix: June Progressive House (Soundcloud)

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    If you're not too busy to "interact with the audience" you're doing it wrong.
    That is retarded bro, you are there to entertain the audience... How are you going to know if they are enjoying themselves if you just stare at your screen or controller.. I by no means think that you should play top 40 and sell your soul to please a crowd, but the dance floor has changed from the early 2000's when I started going out, now about 80% (yes I pulled that figure out of my arse) of the crowd just look at the dj the whole time.

Also when you say you don't want to be admired for standing there, you do want to be admired for your creativity behind the controller, in reality you are ruining songs to boost your ego. Dance music survived 20 years with just a filter on the mixer, nothing has changed about the production value, in fact I would suggest that more effects get used in production than ever before, why do you need to add more???
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    That is retarded bro, you are there to entertain the audience... How are you going to know if they are enjoying themselves if you just stare at your screen or controller.. I by no means think that you should play top 40 and sell your soul to please a crowd, but the dance floor has changed from the early 2000's when I started going out, now about 80% (yes I pulled that figure out of my arse) of the crowd just look at the dj the whole time.

Also when you say you don't want to be admired for standing there, you do want to be admired for your creativity behind the controller, in reality you are ruining songs to boost your ego. Dance music survived 20 years with just a filter on the mixer, nothing has changed about the production value, in fact I would suggest that more effects get used in production than ever before, why do you need to add more???
    I've only ever been in ONE venue where the audience pays any attention to the DJ whatsoever. Most venues over here aren't Gatecrashers, and a city centre club is not a festival. The audience only ever looks over at the DJ when you drop a well-known and well-loved track, and that's only if they even know where the DJ booth is or can see it from where they're standing.

And your viewpoint of "ruining songs to boost your ego" is YOUR opinion. Controllerists don't ruin existing songs, they create new ones out of component pieces of existing tracks; and that's something that many people appreciate. Just because you don't doesn't mean that the rest of the world agrees with you.
    Gear: 2x Reloop Contour, Zomo MC-1000, Reloop RMX-40 :: Reloop Terminal Mix 4 :: Korg nanoKONTROL :: Traktor 2.6.1

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    and that's only if they even know where the DJ booth is or can see it from where they're standing.
    Is that because you play bars mdc??? bars are not clubs, people go to bars to drink socially and talk with their friends, they usually couldn't care less about what the dj is doing as they will go to a club after having a warm up in a bar. On the other hand people go to clubs to

1. pickup
    2. get drunk etc..
    3. dance
    4. listen to music "this is after dancing as most don't care what you play they just want to dance to fulfill No 1"

Probably in that order of importance... Granted your list while being similar is probably in a different order, but most of your crowd think about a night out in a club like that.

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    Is that because you play bars mdc??? bars are not clubs, people go to bars to drink socially and talk with their friends, they usually couldn't care less about what the dj is doing as they will go to a club after having a warm up in a bar. On the other hand people go to clubs to

1. pickup
    2. get drunk etc..
    3. dance
    4. listen to music "this is after dancing as most don't care what you play they just want to dance to fulfill No 1"

Probably in that order of importance... Granted your list while being similar is probably in a different order, but most of your crowd think about a night out in a club like that.
    Tbh I play both, but in this area (Midlands in the UK), there aren't many big "superclubs" like down south and in the bigger northern cities like Manchester etc. Most venues are max capacity 600 or so, even the ones that are dedicated clubs (ie, not open during the day, no tables/chairs, decent lighting rigs and sound systems, and charge for entry etc).

Compared to a decade ago, there just isn't a big focus on the DJ anymore. And when there is, I personally feel like it should be more about what we're doing on the decks than just doing jesus poses and craving attention. There's only one venue in this city where the DJ booth isn't hidden in a corner somewhere, and that venue - ironically - has one of the lowest attendances of all the venues in the city (like max 100 people at any one time on a Saturday night, despite having a capacity of 400).

Even when I've been to places like Oceana in Notts, people don't pay ANY attention to the booth whatsoever (which is in the centre of the main room).

Places where i dj, i definitely want to see people, and interact with them. I will often pull people onstage, let them say something into the mic, or press a few buttons on the midifighter. Sometimes i'll leave the booth with my ipad running lemur, and go into the crowd, and ask some random person if they wanna mix in the next song, lol they totally freak (obviously i help them). It's all about the fun, and the crowd loves it. Djing is about creating atmosphere, and it doesn't really matter how you do that.

Tech Guru

All the best DJs I've seen perform live have had great crowd interaction. Whether it's just hyping it up or something more involved, but the crowd is much more exciting if you let them join in on setting the mood.

Schalenberg

I just bought the expedit desk over the weekend, but I didn't get to install the capita legs. Looks like I might need a power drill for that part. Can I screw the legs in manually or do I have to power drill those suckers?

holy shit, I just remembered this thread was about the ikea desks LOL... sorry for the derail

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast