Timecode problems

Default Timecode problems

I just got two turntables, a mixer, and an amp from my friend. His uncle used to be a DJ, he got the stuff from his uncle, knew I was a DJ, and I got it free. I bought two serato timecode vinyls to go with them. At first I only had one timecode going, so I just went Decks -> Mixer -> Amp -> Mic input on my computer. Dialed in the vinyl, worked like a charm. Put the second timecode on, set VirtualDJ to two timecodes, and it said I didn't have enough channels. I figured it must be because I have to run it through a soundcard, but I wasn't sure if that was the case or not and if I had an issue with the ASIO driver. If it IS the case, I want to know if I could use my Lexicon Alpha recording module as an interface. It has one Red&White output, two 1/4" outputs, two 1/4" inputs, one 1/4" instrument input, and a 3.5mm mic jack.

Thanks,
    Spencer

Tech Guru

Why are you connecting an amp to your mic input? Do you want to blow something up?

Yes, you would need to use your Lexicon if you wanted 2 timecode decks. Use the two Line Ins on the back to connect each turntable.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Why are you connecting an amp to your mic input? Do you want to blow something up?

Yes, you would need to use your Lexicon if you wanted 2 timecode decks. Use the two Line Ins on the back to connect each turntable.
    It was the only way to put out sound. I suppose I could have used the input jack on the mixer instead. Anyways do I run them directly into the back and leave out the mixer? And if so, where do I plug in the mixer?

Tech Guru

The Lexicon isn't really designed to work like this but you might be able to get away with it.

I assume the rear jack outputs are identical to the rear RCA outputs, so you could maybe use the headphone output on the front to get you a total of 2 stereo outputs. These two outputs go to each side of your mixer.

Since your two inputs are line-level there's no guarantee they'll work well with the phono signal from your turntables. You may have to turn up the gains on the front to get a good timecode signal.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB