Vinyl Records!! Love, Hate, Memories. Let's share
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Vinyl Records!! Love, Hate, Memories. Let's share

How many here love their vinyl, or sometimes hate it.
    I just want to hear some stories about vinyl!
    Does anyone still buy some?!?!
    I'm on ebay all the time trying to find hip-hop from mid 90's!

I'm on ebay all the time trying to find hip-hop from mid 90's!

I should think so to.

But I haven't bought vinyl for around 10 years. As soon as I got me some DVS I was hooked...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Ive always used vinyl till about 6 years ago, kept my records but sold all my stuff and invested in digital dj ing. Something was missing for a while so just before Christmas I bought myself some knackered SL1210s. Stripped them to nothing then built them back with new bits and repainted the top deck. Brought out my old vinyl, upgraded to Traktor Scratch and now I have the best of both worlds. I love using vinyl and my life is now complete!
    Problem is finding new records these days that don't cost a bomb so I am also hunting ebay and second hand vinyl shops for all the classic records I should of bought at the time!
    TSP2, Rane 64, 2x SL1210 (restored and customised), Shure M44-7 Carts, X1 Mk 2, Launchpad.

http://www.sounditoutrecords.co.uk
    https://soundcloud.com/theworkhouse-sessions

I would never get rid of my vinyl, as I think it is nice stuff to own. I'm always hunting for new stuff, and eBay is a it of a gold mine, nothing like spending hours trawling record shops looking for that 'one' record though....
    Pioneer CDJ 1000MK3 x 2/Pioneer RMX 1000/Traktor S8/Pioneer HDJ2000s/Pair KRK RP5 G2/MBP 13"/Traktor Scratch Pro/Push/Novation Launchkey 25/Trigger Finger Pro/1.5" iMac :-) http://www.facebook.com/DJThinAir

I loved it because it was consistent for the most part, and thinned the herd of DJ's. Only the truly motivated would get into and remain in the game thanks to the small fortune required to get started. By the time you saved up for everything, had finally found a style, and got good enough to play out, you genuinely had to have a serious love to stick with it for that long. With the standard setups too, it was a bit easier to see who could really shine and who the uninspired DJ's were. With vinyl falling behind the curtain so to say at this point, we lose a lot of talent in the flood of "dj's". I also loved it as the cost made DJ's tend to be a little more particular in their collections. At 6-10 bucks a pop, you couldn't really afford to buy tracks that were in that "eh, it's ok and might work in such and such a spot". You wanted every track to be that gem, and the fact that pressings were/are finite, it made great tracks and crate digging that much more valuable.

That being said, I hate it for almost the same reasons. It was SO expensive. The format made the dj carrying or being known for having those gems around a target for theft. Also, records degrade the more you play them. Then there's the fact that damaging that limited pressing you knew you could never find again was one of the worst things that could happen. Let's not forget that MP3's can't warp. Probably the worst thing was the weight. I remember having to have to travel by bus and train for a weekend of gigs, and lugging a flight case full of wax on top of luggage was the worst. Then if the weather was bad... forget about it.

I've already spent about $200 on vinyl this year. Yep I still buy vinyl, and probably will continue to until I retire, and then maybe I'll open a record store.....
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

SUCKS: I had to downsize and got rid of half of mine About 1,000 records.

SUCKS: Storing the monsters.

SUCKS: Trying to find a track when your friends come over. No Search function ???

I REALLY MISS: Flipping through a crate looking for that cover art and the serotonin rushing through your brain as you unjacket and place the needle in the groove.

>

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    I REALLY MISS: Flipping through a crate looking for that cover art and the serotonin rushing through your brain as you unjacket and place the needle in the groove.
    + the adrenaline rush when you look over and realize there's 30 seconds left on the outgoing track and you're still flipping records
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    + the adrenaline rush when you look over and realize there's 30 seconds left on the outgoing track and you're still flipping records
    yeah!! That's dope!!

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    Forgot to add that to my list. Buying music really isn't as fun anymore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast