First Gig
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Gig

Default First Gig

Hey guys, it's my freshman year of high school, and along with that comes my first true gig \m/ I had one tiny thing last year in 8th grade, but it doesn't really count. This is a big party, at least by freshman standards, so I just want some help from some people with experience. Amount of songs, tips and tricks, anything, all help is appreciated.

music for 4x the time you think you'll play. spit game at girls.

I think I have enough game to last the night, but will 800 songs last through 10:00-2:00?

Yes absolutely assuming its quality music that fits into the theme of the night.

Am I supposed to play popular songs or just do a regular set? The girl having the party asked for a techno DJ, but i don't know what that means to her...electronic music, or just an ipod with Ke$ha on it on shuffle?

Someone else with more time and energy will probably give you a detailed answer but I'd say a bit of both. Mix it up, have fun, and have confidence in whatever you play.

Tech Mentor

Always bring more music than you think you need, in the digital age theres no excuse not to.
    Bring a little bit of every genre, even if you're playing an electronic set, bring some classic rock, some 90s alternative, some classic hip hop, and always try to have the top 40 on hand. you never know where your set is going to go, and what kind of requests you'll get.
    I play house and electro, and I'll still get requests for the wobble song and cupid shuffle in the middle of the mix.
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

First off, congratulations on landing a gig. i'm not sure about high school parties, but i've done a lot of college parties in my four years there. Start slower, work your way up in tempo and come down at the end. You basically control the speed of the party so working your way up is the best way to go about it once people start to loosen up. If the girl wants techno (and thinks like the girls I know who aren't really into music) she is probably looking for EDM-like pop, so I'd bring a lot of that with me, but like Culture_Shock said, bring all types. Feel the crowd out and work off how they respond to what you play. If they seem to respond better to one thing over the other, make them happy. If they like what you play, theres a better chance you'll get booked again. Most importantly though, have fun.

One last thing, if you mess up, what do you do

Pretend in your head it didn't even happen and keep playing with confidence. Listen to the DJ AM superbowl party mix that was recently uploaded if you are worried about perfection. Plenty of mistakes in it but not really noticeable to the crowd and you know he rocked the f*ck out of that party. Makes me feel better and more confident about being creative and completely spontaneous in a set.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast