Launchpad Software Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Launchpad Software Question

I really want to buy the Novation Launchpad and do things like M4Sonic ( )
    Does the software included allow me to do what M4Sonic does in his video? If not does the "Intro" version of Ableton live do that? Are they the same thing?
    Also what are some things I should buy in addition to the Launchpad? (Soundcard, Monitors etc.)

Thanks and sorry for the "uneducated" answers. I emailed both Novation and Ableton but haven't had a response. (Probably busy....)

um ok.... that was awesome.... yeah ableton can do that. you can just map the launchpad to all the drum rack slots. then load your samples into the slots and play away. now i must mention two things, it probably took him quite a bit of work to get all the samples cut the way he wanted them before you play. second... he is quite good and that looks like it took alot of practice lol. but hey man go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    um ok.... that was awesome.... yeah ableton can do that. you can just map the launchpad to all the drum rack slots. then load your samples into the slots and play away. now i must mention two things, it probably took him quite a bit of work to get all the samples cut the way he wanted them before you play. second... he is quite good and that looks like it took alot of practice lol. but hey man go for it!
    Hey thanks for the quick reply. And I bet, I don't expect to just pick up this thing and be like him. haha (I wish though)
    So just to clarify, I can literally just buy this things, and immediately map the launchpad to the drum rack slots? With the Intro version it comes with?

Again thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by BetaAoi View Post
    Hey thanks for the quick reply. And I bet, I don't expect to just pick up this thing and be like him. haha (I wish though)
    So just to clarify, I can literally just buy this things, and immediately map the launchpad to the drum rack slots? With the Intro version it comes with?

Again thanks for the reply
    Given how much of the controller he is using, I'm actually willing to bet he has 64 samples loaded in the clip launch section (8 rows & 8 columns) and very carefully arranged them for his play style.

yup, you might want to take a look at a few youtube videos on how to map in ableton but its pretty easy, and im pretty sure the launchpad comes with a basic version of launchpad, which will work fine for your purpose.

@professorstrangeman im almost positive its some sort of drum rack he is using, because as soon as he lets off the button the sample stops, where as if it was in clip launch it would just keep playing.
    Last edited by 031999; 02-14-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    im almost positive its some sort of drum rack he is using, because as soon as he lets off the button the sample stops, where as if it was in clip launch it would just keep playing.
    You can map the clips to be 'When Held', I've seen people do it on APCs before.

Alright, Awesome! Thanks guys, you answered my questions

Tech Convert

M4Sonic is using the drum rack mapping function of the Launchpad, and also has a second midi track sending midi out to the launchpad so that it will light up when a pad is pressed. This is all standard function for user mode 1. The only problem that you could run into is if the Launchpad edition of Ableton does not include the drum rack. The session view behaves a little differently than the drum rack, and this type of performance relies on the latter. From what I /remember/ when I was starting out with Ableton, the intro versions can open drum racks, but editing them is forbidden/vastly limited. It's worth checking out if that is still the case, otherwise you won't be able to edit a rack to do this type of thing.

Honestly what I'd do is buy the Launchpad, then use one of the currently discounted upgrade paths on the Ableton site and just go for the full version.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorStrangeman View Post
    Given how much of the controller he is using, I'm actually willing to bet he has 64 samples loaded in the clip launch section (8 rows & 8 columns) and very carefully arranged them for his play style.
    I don't think so. If you look at the LEDs at the *top* of the Launchpad (Session, User1,User2, & Mixer), the one that is lit up is User1 which is "automatically" mapped to instrument racks in Ableton and not to clip launching.
    Traktor: Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, DN-MC3000, DN-X1700
    Ableton: Launchpad, nanoKontrol2, LPK-25, BCR2000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast