How important is it to know how to use the club standard CDJ setup? I'm torn
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default How important is it to know how to use the club standard CDJ setup? I'm torn

I am just about to start playing two gigs as I have a few open invitations. The reason I havent played yet is because I recently broke my VCI-100 and IMO I never thought of it a serious DJ controller. So now I am in the market for a new, higher quality, DJ setup.

At the club I will play at they use the classic CDJ-2000's & DJM-900 and the second club is more like "DJ battle" style where you bring your own gear.
    Im feel like im pretty proficient in Traktor and I love the possibilities it allows but I don't like the idea of a vibe killing computer screen and a SYNC button. I think having a comp screen between you and the crowd is like trying to have a conversation with somebody preoccupied with texting on their phone.

I've haven't had much experience with CDJ's and would like to be able to use the club CDJ setup without having to rely on traktor and my software. On the other hand, I can throw down harder in a DJ battle using traktors and an s4 or something. There are some features that I frequently use in traktor that cant be replicated with the CDJ's that are in my price range. (I already have a mixer)

So Im wondering how big of a deal is it if I can't use the standard CDJ setup if?
    Last edited by pbcrazy9898; 02-14-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Tech Guru

If you can't use a standard CDJ setup you won't be able to play at the club with CDJs. Is that a big deal to you?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Mentor

^ I can just hook up my controller....is the hassle of switching to my controller worth it for the price?

just hook up the cdj's to your laptop, that is why pioneer intergrated HID control...

Depends on the club and where you are located. In St.Louis, cdjs are rare. Most bring their own gear and usually it's controllers or dvs if there is room for turntables.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

i personally think its very important, weather you use them or not. some places will only have CDJ setups available some places will allow you to bring gear, but most importantly its always good to learn the traditional system...

How important is it to know how to use the club standard CDJ setup?
    It isn't. Even slightly.

The only time you're going to have issues with this is if their gear isn't removable; I've had some nightmares where venues have practically had their gear nailed down or non-removable cabling routed through tiny spaces with no slack, making moving stuff out of the way impossible.

In one situation I simply had to walk away from the night because it was the most asinine setup I've ever seen, and the management just didn't give a crap. In every other situation when dealing with the club's own gear, I've simply moved it out of the way and set up my own. The best tip I can give you is to use modular controllers, so if you're forced to use the club's built-in mixer, you can set them up either side of it, plug in, and then you're ready to go. That's why I bought the Reloop Contours, although the Behringer PL-1 with an external soundcard would be a good option too.

Tech Mentor

I was in the same position as you.

Bottom line, dont worry about knowing exactly how to use the mixer and CDJs. At least not to the point of buying the same setup. A DJ setup consists of a mixer and two players (turntables/CDJs/tape decks, etc). If you know how to use a mixer, then youre well off on pretty much every mixer you come across.

I pretty much have a mindset of, 25% of the time, youll be playing on "industry standard" equipment. 65% of the time, youll be on your own equipment. 10% of the time, youll be on your friends equipment. The stats change depending on how seasoned you are obviously.

Your setup should be just that. Your setup. You should be comfortable with your gear. No point in investing a Pioneer DJM 900 if you only mix 2 tracks at a time. Not a huge deal to know "the feel" of the CDJ 2000 encoder knobs.

All mixers consist of audio inputs, faders, and an EQ. All CD players consist of USB inputs, Cue/Play buttons, and a navigation system of your files. Theres nothing that should phase you when you look at one CDJ to another CDJ.

Now I know that there are differences between some models, but the basic principle for all of them is the same.

For me, I use a Rane 62 with serato, two technics, and an iPad for The Bridge. Im comfortable with this setup for a few reasons.
    I mostly play D&B, I rarely mix more than two tracks at a time. I dont need 26 FX available to me if I dont use them. I like to scratch when im mixing as well and this mixer is more than capable for that.

Again, use and buy what you need and what youre comfortable with. Think about your play style. Think long term as well. Again, think for YOU! Dont let mass marketing tell you what to buy.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    It isn't. Even slightly.

The only time you're going to have issues with this is if their gear isn't removable; I've had some nightmares where venues have practically had their gear nailed down or non-removable cabling routed through tiny spaces with no slack, making moving stuff out of the way impossible.
    If you're playing at a club with CDJ 2000s + DJM900, don't expect to be allowed to "move them out of the way". If there's room for your controller then fine you can bring it. You know what equipment will be there, not anyone else on the forum.

It's really easy to hook up CDJ 2000s to Traktor by the way, making them much easier to use than the traditional standalone CDJ 1000s for someone that's used to controllers.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    It isn't. Even slightly.
    But holy shit, how easy is it once you know CDJs !
    It will save you so much hassle.
    + the risk that your own gear breaks is so much higher at a gig than at home.

I can only recommend learing CDJs, but I would advise against buying your own CDJs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast