It's OFFICIAL ! Music is Run By Retards Now - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post
    Why on earth are you even looking at beatport top 10 charts in the 1st place? Its the first port of call for the lazy, mundane DJ.

The only way to use beatport these days, IMO, is the label search.
    +2

genre pages -> artist charts -> labels -> other sites/sources

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    Sadly , I think I found the answer.

Let's say you are a Trance producer, but Trance is "not in style" these days.

You finish a Trance track and you label it as Progressive House because all the kids will jump to that genre filter.

Beatport doesn't give a rats ass. "Hey. You are the guy who made the track. You say it's Progressive House, fine with me. I make the 40% either way."

So know that everybody's a DJ, the knuckleheads go searching through the Progressive House charts and BAM! "This track is cool."

Next Saturday they are dropping a Trance track in the Progressive House set at the frat house blowout.

>
    that and everyone miss labels everything from lack of knowledge...

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post
    I gave up on beatport genres a long time ago...
    Me too. As soon as I saw the words Beatport and Genre in the same sentence, I knew what the problem would be!

Traxsource & Juno, Trackitdown and iTunes before even venturing on Beatport for me
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post
    I gave up on beatport genres a long time ago...
    same here, but now it takes fucking ages to find stuff i like because its not where you'd expect it to be
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Genre differences aside, is track No. 1 actually Tech House? Because if it is, I really like it, and may have to explore this further!

(It's not that I'm an idiot, but I normally mix D'n'B and Garage!).
    TSP 2.6.1 | 2 x CDJ 2000 Nexus | 2 x Technics 1210 MK5 | Denon DNX-1600 | Behringer DDM4000 w/Infinium X1 | MBP | A&H Xone K2 | Akai APC 40 & MPK 25 | Novation Launchpad | Pioneer HDJ 2000 & 500 | Audio 8 DJ | Ableton Live 9

http://www.mixcloud.com/lineypirate/http://www.soundcloud.com/lineypirate/

Tech Mentor

I know the genres in beatport are horrible and stupid, but Still The Same Man is mainstream tech house, not electro!

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Still more accurate than the Progressive House charts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lineypirate View Post
    Genre differences aside, is track No. 1 actually Tech House? Because if it is, I really like it, and may have to explore this further!

(It's not that I'm an idiot, but I normally mix D'n'B and Garage!).
    That's the point. Anyone who digs Track 1 will not dig Track 2. They are like polar opposites. How can that be the same genre???

>

The one thing that gets me is the classification of 'House'. Typically, a clubbier, more energetic feel is given this label (ie. funky/jackin' house) but not all of the time. Since this is the genre I typically play, I find it extremely difficult to find what's hot on BP for this sound, so I just stick to Stompy and Traxsource since they've actually got 'Jackin House' and 'Funky' classifications, which gives me pretty much exactly the sound I'm looking for, unlike BP's 'House' which could mean goddamn anything...
    MacBook Pro
    Numark NS7 + NSFX
    Serato ITCH
    Ableton Live 8
    Akai APC40

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    That's the point. Anyone who digs Track 1 will not dig Track 2. They are like polar opposites. How can that be the same genre???

>
    Yeah they are abusing the term a bit. #2 is bigroom hands in the air house house while #1 has a much more chilly atmosphere, not necessarily underground, more like a sunset party or something along those lines.

This isn't anything new either. Tech House has always had it's fair amount of pure house tracks listed in it.

PS: Tube & Berger FTW!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast