Problem With File Names from Folder to Traktor Pro 2.6

Default Problem With File Names from Folder to Traktor Pro 2.6

Hi guys. I organized and corrected/renamed the names of my files in the folder where I keep my music. So, when I transfer those files to Traktor Pro it just leaves the file name as if it wasn't changed.

For example, let's say I had the file name Dirty South - Coming Home in Traktor Pro. Now, I erase that file from Traktor, I go into the folder that has that song, and rename it to Dirty South - Coming Home (Original Mix). So, that's the new file name in the folder. When I drag that file to the new playlist or whatever in Traktor Pro it just comes up as Dirty South - Coming Home; as if nothing changed.

Is there a way to transfer my files from the folder to Traktor Pro with the new file name changes?

Thanks for helpin this newbie out!

Tech Mentor

I believe this is because Traktor is reading from the file tags and *not* the file name.
    Going into your hard drive's music folder and clicking "rename file" does not change the file tags, just the file name displayed by the computer.
    In order to get Traktor to read it as "original mix" you would have to change the track name tag in the file itself. Luckily you can do this in the "edit" window of traktor (right click -> edit).

Quote Originally Posted by CountenanT View Post
    I believe this is because Traktor is reading from the file tags and *not* the file name.
    Going into your hard drive's music folder and clicking "rename file" does not change the file tags, just the file name displayed by the computer.
    In order to get Traktor to read it as "original mix" you would have to change the track name tag in the file itself. Luckily you can do this in the "edit" window of traktor (right click -> edit).
    Thanks. It'll take me a while to change all the names then. Is there any way I can bypass Traktor from reading the file tag?

Tech Mentor

I've just had a look, and there doesn't appear to be an option which stops it getting its info from the tags unfortunately.
    If you want to change a lot of tags, you've got a few options:

1. Find the preference in traktor which says "enable inline editing in list window" - this will let you double click the browser window lines to rename/adjust stuff, and should save it to the tag. Saves you going to the edit menu every time.

2. Use a tagging program, personally I use MP3Tag - it has handy options to automatically rename files based on their tags and vice-versa. It's quite an easy program to once you tell it what you need to do. You could use something like Rapid Evo as well, but I've never found that too handy for batch tagging.

I use iTunes scripts to batch rename/retag a lot of files like this. Get all my scripts from dougscripts.com he's got TONS of useful ones on there!
    Tre Tuna
    DJ and Recording and Mixing engineer for live and studio sound
    Traktor Pro 2.7.1 | MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4gigs ram
    Stanton STR8-150s | Ortofon Q-Bert Carts
    NI Z2, F1, Machine MK I, RigKontrol 3 | Dicers | PadKontrol