Soundcards?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soundcards?

Default Soundcards?

I was hoping to get some Ableton users opinions on the following.

What are peoples suggestions for a well rounded recording interface/soundcard? One that would be good for recording vinyl samples, voice, guitar, etc.

Now that takes care of getting the sound into Ableton. When playing live, what is everyones preference for "soundcards" like a Numark DJIO or Audio 2 DJ?

Last question, is there any device out there that integrates both into one package?

Thanks in advance!
    diabeatnik

if you got a firewire connection, go for a presonus firebox.. got mine pretty cheap off from ebay..

it got everything you're looking for.. a good card for production and djing at the same time.. 2 line in, 2 xlr, midi, 6 outs, headphone out, ....
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

weltraumpapst,

so you can do all your recording of live instruments with low latency into Ableton with the presonus firebox and then turn it around and use it for output when playing a live set?

yes and you dont even have to turn it around.. just google the device and read a little bit about it..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

The Presonus firebox inputs are actually really nice, the outputs are really nice too. I wouldnt say its the best card out there but its pretty good for how much it costs.

good thing about the firebox right now is that they're discontinuing it soon (word from a local music store) so it's gonna be cheap.

good thing about it later, it'll still be working properly. it can take a slew of rough gigs. i imagine if you had cables long enough you could put it in the middle of the dance floor and pick it up at the end of the night and still have it work perfectly. tank.

i record with it a lot and love the inputs.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    good thing about the firebox right now is that they're discontinuing it soon (word from a local music store)
    I dont believe anything music stores about gear getting discontinued - most of the time it doesnt turn out to be true. Would be interesting to get this confirmed from presonus though.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    I dont believe anything music stores about gear getting discontinued - most of the time it doesnt turn out to be true. Would be interesting to get this confirmed from presonus though.
    i thought the same thing as i wrote it.. didn't give it a second thought until then :P probably spitting some game at me to validate giving me rock bottom dollar for it.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Wizard

you might want to consider the novation nio 2/4 as well. It's cheap, portable and has all the features you asked for previously.

# Direct FX Technology
    Ultra-low latency effects allow hassle-free, real time jamming and recording.
    # Direct Mix Monitoring
    Unique, flexible, and tactile monitoring control beyond anything in its class
    # 'Overloud' Guitar amp and distortion pedal effects
    professional effects from the experts in the field of accurate Guitar Amp modeling.
    # Powerful effects from Novation and Focusrite
    Novation effects from the Supernova II and signal processing from Focusrite.
    # Professional Inputs
    Microphone, instrument or line-level sources. nio 2 | 4 is ready for anything, be it guitar, mic, synth, or MP3/CD player.
    # Two Headphone Outputs
    Simultaneous headphone mix for the artist and the engineer. Ideal for home recording and the classroom environment.
    # Four RCA phono outputs
    Combined with two streams of stereo digital audio via USB, nio is the ideal interface for the laptop DJ performing live

More info here : http://www.novationmusic.com/product...erface/nio_2_4

Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1 is a great all round package. It even had MIDI controls on the top of it! Also, if Native Instruments are giving away a free synth with it these days. Think you can pick from Massive, Absynth, Pro-53... FM-8 as well I think.

It's a good investment.
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast