using cdjs with rane sl3 box and traktor
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default using cdjs with rane sl3 box and traktor

Hi, I'll be at a club this weekend and hope to be using their CDJs instead of my kontrol s4. I'd love to use them in advanced HID mode. I've done some research and I believe that the order of operations goes like this: cdj into usb, music file processed in laptop, out through usb into rane sl3 box, into mixer, out to sound system. Please tell me if this sequence is correct. However I need help with all the other logistics. Are there drivers I need for the CDJs? What about for the Rane box? What sort of preferences must be set in traktor for this to work?
    Thanks for all the help!

Tech Guru

If you're a Windows user you'll need drivers for the CDJs. You'll only be able to use them as decent controllers if they're CDJ 900s, 2000s, or Nexuses. You will also need to install audio drivers for the SL3.

Otherwise your setup looks fine. Don't expect everything to just work perfectly if you've never used this setup before though; give yourself a bit of time to check things over.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    If you're a Windows user you'll need drivers for the CDJs. You'll only be able to use them as decent controllers if they're CDJ 900s, 2000s, or Nexuses. You will also need to install audio drivers for the SL3.

Otherwise your setup looks fine. Don't expect everything to just work perfectly if you've never used this setup before though; give yourself a bit of time to check things over.
    I am using a Macbook pro. What kind of drivers do I need then? And what kind of input output routing should I set in traktor? Ive seen some stuff about making the laptop recognize both cdj's as one device. Is that something I need to do? Thank you for all of your help and sorry about the bombardment of questions.

Tech Guru

If you have an SL3...why not just use Serato with the CDJ's?

Also if you are going to use Traktor there is no need for a soundcard. You can use the CDJ cards but will have to aggregate the two CDJ's. Not sure how quickly you can do this on the spot, unless you are the first DJ of the night and have some time to set up.

What type of CDJ's are these?
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    If you have an SL3...why not just use Serato with the CDJ's?

Also if you are going to use Traktor there is no need for a soundcard. You can use the CDJ cards but will have to aggregate the two CDJ's. Not sure how quickly you can do this on the spot, unless you are the first DJ of the night and have some time to set up.

What type of CDJ's are these?
    All of my songs have cue points in traktor and there is no way to transfer those over to serato. I understand that there is no need for a soundcard but I am only the opening dj. I don't wanna mess with what is already there and give the headliner a headache. I believe they are CDj 2000's and I have about an hour to set up before my set. I just need to know what type of preferences need to be set in traktor for this all to work. Thanks for the fast reply!

Setting up HID with the CDJ's interfaces takes all of five minutes as long as you've installed the software prior to that and all it takes is two usb cables (and cdjs with sufficiently current firmware but that's another story). That would be even less messing about with the house setup than plugging in your own interface (AND also the cdjs).
    OSX or Windows ?

Quote Originally Posted by bumtsch View Post
    Setting up HID with the CDJ's interfaces takes all of five minutes as long as you've installed the software prior to that and all it takes is two usb cables (and cdjs with sufficiently current firmware but that's another story). That would be even less messing about with the house setup than plugging in your own interface (AND also the cdjs).
    OSX or Windows ?
    OSX. But then I still need a way to output the sound to the mixer.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by a burdenless pig View Post
    OSX. But then I still need a way to output the sound to the mixer.
    If you're familiar with aggregating devices (doesn't sound like you are), you could merge the two CDJs into a multi-output sound card rather than the SL3. Pioneer provide an auto-aggregator on the support website for each individual CDJ so you could try that.

No input routing is needed for HID control. Do you know what model CDJs you'll be using? I assume you've used CDJs before?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

Tech Mentor

Download aggregator, connect CDJ's via USB, run aggregator, launch Traktor, push LINK on CDJ and select deck to control, play.

You will also need to be running Traktor 2.6, and the CDJ2000's will need firmware version 4.20
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Tech Guru

Based on the Pioneer Firmware Release thread I think Advanced HID was added with firmware 3.1, but it doesn't hurt to be up to date.
    My 2000s work fine on 4.11

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast