I may have messed up ??...
    Tech Wizard

Default I may have messed up ??...

So last week I was clearing out room on MBP, when I bought it I wasn't DJing and didn't really care about space this was a huge mistake and now I only have maybe 150GBs internally for everything. Anyways last week I was going through my "downloaded" files folder deleting everything, as I have done in the past with no harm. This freeed up about 15GBs from my HDD, which is huge as I'm almost at the limit. The problem occured when I opened Traktor and started to play some tracks from my usual House playlist....a lot of my tracks where coming up with the "!" and obviously not loading....So I ran consistentices on the playlist and it turns out that about 1/3 of the 1000 songs I have in the playlist now have the dreaded "!" coming up next to them.

Luckily I create my playlists in iTunes and "Import to playlist" inside traktor, and then just add my songs indvidually to my playlist in traktor by dragging and dropping from the top of my iTunes playlist.

To fix my problem (for now) I changed the name of my old playlist to "OLD - Hau5e, dance, & trance" and just imported it again from iTunes as a new playlist. This has all of my songs, but what about my cue points/beat grids I've spent buttloads of time on?? (When I started going through them it seemed to have all of the cue points so I'm not that worried. Does traktor save all of this info somewhere?? It clearly does, right?)

I guess my other questions are....

1. Am I doing this the best way?? Should I be dragging and dropping from iTunes to my traktor collection??
    2. Why did some of my files come up with the "!" but others didnt? The songs affected varied from being brought into traktor a long time ago to songs downloaded last month, to me this means that it has SOMETHING to do with what I deleted but I don't understand where/how because the tracks are to old still be in my "downloads". I usually clean this out every few months, and some that got the "!" are older.
    3. If I download a file, it goes into my downloads folder, and then automatically opens in iTunes. Should I create a seperate folder for all of my music ??
    13" MBP 4GB RAM // Kontrol S4 // MF3D // V-Moda LP II's // Rokit 6's // Sony MDR-V700's

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Cues and grid info is stored inside the file, unless you are working with wavs. Either way, it's all stored in NI's collection file too.

BTW, if you deleted stuff in your downloads folder and the ! showed up means the file is missing, you said you reimported the files back from iTunes. This means that your probably have a ton of files duplicate in your HD and could really save some space by not letting iTunes make a duplicate of the file the first time it plays it. Either that or delete the file from downloads as soon as you open it in iTunes.

Personally I use my download folder as a temporary storage place until everything gets tagged properly and only then it gets moved to my regular music folder. I HATE how iTunes manages files (Artist>Album folders for everything, even single tracks)

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Cues and grid info is stored inside the file, unless you are working with wavs. Either way, it's all stored in NI's collection file too.

BTW, if you deleted stuff in your downloads folder and the ! showed up means the file is missing, you said you reimported the files back from iTunes. This means that your probably have a ton of files duplicate in your HD and could really save some space by not letting iTunes make a duplicate of the file the first time it plays it. Either that or delete the file from downloads as soon as you open it in iTunes.

Personally I use my download folder as a temporary storage place until everything gets tagged properly and only then it gets moved to my regular music folder. I HATE how iTunes manages files (Artist>Album folders for everything, even single tracks)
    Thanks @padi_04 for the response. Is the NI Collection file one file within my Traktor folder or is a folder with all of my traktor-stored-songs in it? Either way I ask because I want to back all of this info up on my external HDD because this all of the hard work, but I guess I'll just copy the entire thing onto my external HDD and that will cover everything....

I am def. going to change my iTunes settings because your 100% right I bet I have a bunch of dupilcates. iTunes works something like this, please correct me if I'm wrong here: I download tune A, tune A goes into downloaded folder on my HDD, it opens in iTunes automatically AND creates a dupilcate of this file within the iTunes library. SO I now have tune A in iTunes (the dup) in the iTunes library folder, and the tune A file in the downloaded folder?
    13" MBP 4GB RAM // Kontrol S4 // MF3D // V-Moda LP II's // Rokit 6's // Sony MDR-V700's

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Backup everything inside User/Documents/Native Instruments/Traktor 2.X.X

Your reasoning is correct with how the duplicates happen.

Tech Wizard

Will do, thanks again padi_04 you da man