Traktor DJ iOS App - Page 11
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

I have to wonder if that big 'ol retina display is what's causing the short battery life, Karlos.

I've had the app running for 5 hours on my iPad 2 now, started at 92% battery, now at 44%.

2 tracks looping with FX locked on
    Audio 6 connected
    Screen brightness at around 30%
    Wifi on.

Tech Mentor

6hrs 15mins now... still got 30% left...

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

EDIT: just read your first post.

Hmm, interesting.

I hope I can get someone with a 4 to do the same test cus your results piss on mine
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 02-27-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Tech Mentor

As above mate:

Quote Originally Posted by Mojaxx View Post
    I've had the app running for 5 hours on my iPad 2 now, started at 92% battery, now at 44%.

2 tracks looping with FX locked on
    Audio 6 connected
    Screen brightness at around 30%
    Wifi on.
    Running Traktor DJ, obviously...

The iPad 2 is 16gb, bought 4 months ago refurbished from Apple.

It's the second iPad 2 in my household, and the kind of battery life I'm getting in this test is what I would have expected. I only did the test tonight because your results were worryingly short, and I thought I'd better check for myself before trying the app live next week.

Tech Mentor

You don't have 3G or LTE switched on, do you? That would cause a hit, I'd imagine, especially as the app syncs with Dropbox fairly regularly.

No mate, I had Airplane Mode on and I have every conceivable notification turned off, all apps closed and all mail etc assigned to manual. Although Airplane mode disables everything anyway.

Damn i need to speak to Apple tomorrow to see if this is normal. I'll also ask the other testers at NI to do the same test and compare results.
    Im kinda hoping that its a duff iPad now. I would be happy with just 6 hours especially with the Audio 6 connected (i havent even tested with that yet).

Thanks for the info Mojaxx, worrying but helpful... appreciated.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Try with min brightness Karlos, you don't need more in dark environments anyways. Try your next run off a fresh boot as well.

Tech Mentor

Yeah, definitely check your screen brightness. I keep getting to gigs and having to turn the brightness down when using Lemur because it's too bright in a dark club. You really shouldn't need it at more than 25/30%.

The thing with TDJ, it's clearly not even that processor intensive. After running it for 6hrs my iPad wasn't even warm, whereas I'd expect it to be after an hour of, say, Infinty Blade. You should DEFINTELY be seeing more than 5 hours IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Try with min brightness Karlos, you don't need more in dark environments anyways. Try your next run off a fresh boot as well.
    Will do... but surely I shouldnt have to reduce brightness too much to get better results than 60% of what Apple claims (at best) the battery can last for.

I mean 10 hours is the claim and this is backed up by impartial reviews. I should at least be getting 5 or 6 hours under these conditions (everything off but Traktor DJ)..?

I have the iPad in a Ballistic Tough Jacket as well. Charging it over night and will test again in the morning with reduced brightness, fresh boot and without the jacket (although It never gets warm anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Mojaxx View Post
    Yeah, definitely check your screen brightness. I keep getting to gigs and having to turn the brightness down when using Lemur because it's too bright in a dark club. You really shouldn't need it at more than 25/30%.

The thing with TDJ, it's clearly not even that processor intensive. After running it for 6hrs my iPad wasn't even warm, whereas I'd expect it to be after an hour of, say, Infinty Blade. You should DEFINTELY be seeing more than 5 hours IMO.
    Yep, something is wrong.
    If I dont get better results tomorrow, im hoping over to the Apple store. They usually take one look at my registered products and go out of their way to help (stupid Apple Fanboy).
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 02-27-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Ok todays test is showing much better results.

Reduced the brightness to 50% and ive lost 15% battery in 2 hours.

WOW what a difference. Still its a bit shitty that i cant have the retina screen used as it should be but I think I can find a compromise around 70% and maybe get a good 5 hours which will get me through my gig.

Spoke to a Dev at NI and he has had the same issue. iPad 2 goes much longer than iPad 4.

Cheers lads.