2nd HD in a MackBook Pro - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I'm actually not a fan of fusion drives, but I also don't keep that much stuff on my laptop.

I'm up to 6TB of storage on my hackintosh (mostly for DVD & eventually blu-ray archival), but my laptop has always been a bit storage light. I DJ'd and did normal life with a 64GB SSD since just before TB laptop drives started becoming available, and I've had no real problems or regrets. Used that drive for a couple years until I bought a new computer and with it a much nicer 120GB SSD. You just have to be a little more selective about what you keep with you. Might not be possible for the mobile jocks, but at that point IDK why they don't just use full computers in a rack since they're carrying so much stuff anyway.

And 500ish GB SSDs are starting to get into the "affordable" range (less than $1/GB). I'm actually about to buy a replacement superdrive to put in my MBP along with my 512GB Vertex 4.

But, the biggest advantage of SSDs in laptops (IMHO) isn't the speed (though it is night & day)…it's the fact that they're way less susceptible to damage from being dropped or carried around.
    Though be wary of early onset data "rot" which SSD's are more prone to.

Yeah…that's not actually an issue for the lifetimes people actually put devices through.

I've been using them for years, and things still work fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12