Setting up new speakers with or without amplifier.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Setting up new speakers with or without amplifier.

Hey, I have been doing some searh on good speakers for room dj'ing and ended up with CELESTION KR2.
    The question is will I need an amplifier to get them working properly? I dont really know much about these kind of stuff now.
    I got Z2 and will I be able to connect those two to my Z2 soundcard?
    Will it work like an amplifier?
    Anyways, how important is amplifier?

I got this old yamaha subwoofer, but no good speakers to test it out how good it is, cus of the connections inputs which differs on left and right speakers and not sure if I'll be albe to connect those two speakers, or will I? Thanks!
    Attachment 15971
    -Ableton suite- -Traktor- -Kontrol Z1- -Kontrol X1- -Oxygen 49- -BX8- -HD25II- -Buddha-

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Kazkox View Post
    Hey, I have been doing some searh on good speakers for room dj'ing and ended up with CELESTION KR2.
    The question is will I need an amplifier to get them working properly? I dont really know much about these kind of stuff now.
    I got Z2 and will I be able to connect those two to my Z2 soundcard?
    Will it work like an amplifier?
    Anyways, how important is amplifier?

I got this old yamaha subwoofer, but no good speakers to test it out how good it is, cus of the connections inputs which differs on left and right speakers and not sure if I'll be albe to connect those two speakers, or will I? Thanks!
    Attachment 15971
    You need an amplifier for those speakers.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

That looks like an AMPLIFIED 2.1 computer subwoofer system. You should be able to plug any stereo signal into the input 1 or input 2. For an iPod use headphone jack and a 3.5mm to 3.5 mm male cord. For a mixer or soundcard use a Stereo-Y cord (3.5mm stereo male to [2] RCA males).

Are you missing the two "tops"? The midrange to tweeter speakers that came with this system. This is originally a 2.1 system. (2 speaker and 1 subwoofer)

The output labeled left speaker is a female RCA and is just a positive and a negative speaker out.

The output labeled right speaker is a proprietary multi-pin connection. The right speaker probably had a volume control and an on/off switch.

In short, you're going to need to buy a real amplifier, The subwoofer you posted is part of an old 2.1 setup, designed to power tiny 2 inch drivers, and a 5 inch subwoofer.

The Celestion KR2 is an 8 inch driver, and designed to handle 100watt's of power, at 8ohm. Even if your old unit was compatible, it wouldn't be nearly powerful enough to run your speakers, and would potentially damage them through under-powering them.

Honestly, if you haven't bought the KR2's yet, you wouldn't go astray by searching for some decent Powered speakers. They're going to be alot less hassel to setup if you aren't too experienced with Audio (That is, matching an amp to your subwoofers). There are hundreds of posts in this forum about speakers, give the search function a go
    Traktor Pro 2 | DB2 | 2x X1 | Macbook Air | HDJ1500 | KRK RP6G2 | KRK 12s | Crane Stand Pro

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    Are you missing the two "tops"? The midrange to tweeter speakers that came with this system. This is originally a 2.1 system. (2 speaker and 1 subwoofer)

The output labeled left speaker is a female RCA and is just a positive and a negative speaker out.

The output labeled right speaker is a proprietary multi-pin connection. The right speaker probably had a volume control and an on/off switch.
    Female RCA, interesting name for it!
    I got the tops, and left one speaker is with a volume control (Maybe female RCA's comes with volume control on most of the devices). OK now it makes some sence what does the 2.1 or 5.1 means, plain simple.

Honestly, if you haven't bought the KR2's yet, you wouldn't go astray by searching for some decent Powered speakers. They're going to be alot less hassel to setup if you aren't too experienced with Audio (That is, matching an amp to your subwoofers). There are hundreds of posts in this forum about speakers, give the search function a go
    I haven't, but they look interesting. Soon I'll be moving to a new place and the room will be medium sized, not too big, luckily there are no neighbours behid the wall so I can push things a bit further if you know what I mean
    There are loads of topics about it, but while I'm searching it is good to ask!
    Last edited by Kazkox; 02-23-2013 at 12:45 AM.
    -Ableton suite- -Traktor- -Kontrol Z1- -Kontrol X1- -Oxygen 49- -BX8- -HD25II- -Buddha-

So much info about those damn speakers! Could't imagine reading all this stuff without a cup of freshly grounded coffee... (with sweeteners ofcourse)

Mainly I like playing techno and drum and bass, and I've came up with these speakers Mackie MR5,
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2611390097...84.m1436.l2649

First I was a bit confused about the difference between active and powered monitor's term's, but as far as I know, they both have amp built-in and I don't like the idea of using separate amp for speakers (yet), and Active monitors are more 'bassy' as I understood.

Secondly, status is changed to super saver once again...

Personally I would ALWAYS go with passive speakers and a separate amp, that's just the way I've always been. You can pick up a half decent hifi amp from eBay or even a car boot sale for a tenner, just make sure you get an older (1970s/80s/90s) stereo one and not one of the shitty modern AV ones designed for surround sound.

My best purchase to date is STILL a pair of Mordaunt Short MS5.30s I picked up from a charity shop for £5; 150W RMS beasts with some of the best sound quality I've heard out of speakers any cheaper than the Monitor Audio GR series. I've got mine coupled to a Teac Reference A-H300 which gives a VERY nice overall tone, as both the speakers and the amp are quite neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazkox View Post
    Female RCA, interesting name for it!
    I got the tops, and left one speaker is with a volume control (Maybe female RCA's comes with volume control on most of the devices). OK now it makes some sence what does the 2.1 or 5.1 means, plain simple.
    The right had the volume control because of that multi-pin connector. 2 pins (+)and (-)send the speaker amplified audio from the subwoofer. The other pins control the amplifier in the subwoofer (bass, treble, volume, on/off, etc.) the left female RCA is just a center pin (+) and a shield (-) to send the left speaker the audio from the amp.

2.1 means 2 speakers (left and right) and 1 subwoofer. Hence 2.1

5.1 means 5 speakers (left, right, center, rear left and rear right) and 1 subwoofer.

>

Tech Student

So an older 5.1 yamaha system could be connected to a numark mix deck controller?

Got it, I did not notice where is the right plug on subwoofer Thanks.

My best purchase to date is STILL a pair of Mordaunt Short MS5.30s I picked up from a charity shop for £5; 150W RMS beasts with some of the best sound quality I've heard out of speakers any cheaper than the Monitor Audio GR series. I've got mine coupled to a Teac Reference A-H300 which gives a VERY nice overall tone, as both the speakers and the amp are quite neutral.
    A hard desicion to make when I can't test it out by my self, but your deal sounds good. Too bad, I'm not living in London anymore, haven't see any charity or small market here yet, I used to go in London's couple of markets where you could find so many interesting stuff for a coin!.
    Anyone else tryed amp+speakers or just powered ones?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast