Google Launches Chromebook Pixel: Enough for DJs? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    Perhaps you should tell us why you think it would be a great dj laptop, because I can't see any reason to get it for DJ'ing.
    And how can you ignore the OS? It's quite important I think.
    well because the specs should be good enough for DJ applications, the ventilation is good etc..

I was saying IF you ignore the OS why wouldn't it be good for Dj-ing
    NI Traktor Kontrol S4 - Sennheiser HD 25 - MF SPECTRA

Well people have already said - i5 dual core @ 1.8GHz & 4Mb RAM isn't all that these days, the screen resolution is overkill & you don't need the touchscreen & the hard drive is too small.

I don't get why anyone would want this for DJ'ing even if it did run Traktor/Serato/Whatever.
    But it doesn't even do that.
    SC | MC

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    Well people have already said - i5 dual core @ 1.8GHz & 4Mb RAM isn't all that these days, the screen resolution is overkill & you don't need the touchscreen & the hard drive is too small.

I don't get why anyone would want this for DJ'ing even if it did run Traktor/Serato/Whatever.
    But it doesn't even do that.
    Even a 16GB SSD would be fine for my uses; when I'm doing a 6 hour set I generally only need about 8 gigs of music at 320kbps. The only way a 64GB SSD would be "too small" is if you're one of those cheese DJs who takes requests and literally needs every track under the sun on their rig.

Still, there's far better machines out there for half the price, so it's still a big "no" from me.

Quote Originally Posted by 32Digits View Post
    >>> based on current specs (ignore the OS) why wouldn't it be a great DJ laptop?
    (because there are better ones does not count as an argument btw )
    there is no software or hardware support. The glossy retina screen is a waste in a club as you should be using a glare free matt screen to ensure you can always see whats on the screen at all times. The processor is fine for dj applications but most of them use only a single core for playback so you really want more than 1.8Ghz to have no audio dropouts under stress. You can find these specs and higher in most ultrabooks for the same price but they have a full operating system.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Student

Default Just finished my first dj set on Chromebook

Hi,
    I've been tinkering with cheap Chromebook for a month now and you can dj with chromebook, but at the moment it means going to different os. I didn't want to remove my Chrome Os and Chrubuntu doesn't seem to understand midi, so I'm running distro called Didjix from usb drive.

http://didjix.blogspot.fi/

It's simple linux distro with only arch linux and mixxx and worked out of the box with my Toshiba Chromebook 1 and Hercules Dj Control Air. Touchpad doesn't work straight without drivers, mappings need to be adjusted to better feel and I could use more than 2 usb ports for music, os and controller, but it at least is possible. I might try installing os to sd card next to clear one usb port.

In my opinion, it has been possible to dj with almost every computer since 2007~ and I use the cheapest hardware I can find, so I don't see point in buying 1000e laptop and controller for this. As long as it's playing track after track, even asus eee pc with atom was capable of that. It's also safer with beer spills and other hazards and with usb powered controller and laptop, you can play outside in a park without constant source of electricity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12