Advice for Young DJ's finding gigs? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Where I live you're not allowed inside a club for another 4 years.

Play at your school's parties or throw your own with your friends!
    1210s - DJM-909 - MBP 13" - A6 - http://martinoscarsson.com

Default Thank you!

Thanks for the advice!!
    Just a quick question: What do you think is a good way to get mixes out and get that kind of attention? How did you do it? And any other tips like that.
    Thanks

Tech Guru

Social media is your friend. Sound cloud/ Youtube.

Don't go around spamming though. If you're good enough, it'll spread on its own.

id first throw a party if you really cant get anyone to hire you
    make mixes, and practice alot before you make them. like someone mentioned perfect your craft and find your style. itll change over time but find it now and make it good enuff that even if its not perfect its consistent.
    give your mixes out at school.
    people have to know you dj for you to get hired, so start telling people you DJ
    summer is coming up and people will have graduation parties, do those for cheap.
    expect to be underpaid for a year or two.
    Simplicity is Beautiful

Tech Mentor

Practice more. Once you think you have it practice more. Expand your music collection. Then improve your music collection. Download podcasts, live sets and studio mixes from your favorite artists. Practice more, try to master the techniques that your favorite artists do. Expand your music collection. Then improve your music collection. Download podcasts, live sets and studio mixes from your favorite artists. Practice more, try to master the techniques that your favorite artists do. Expand your music collection. Then improve your music collection. Download podcasts, live sets and studio mixes from your favorite artists. Practice more, try to master the techniques that your favorite artists do. Expand your music collection. Then improve your music collection. Download podcasts, live sets and studio mixes from your favorite artists. Practice more, try to master the techniques that your favorite artists do. Expand your music collection. Then improve your music collection. Download podcasts, live sets and studio mixes from your favorite artists. Practice more, try to master the techniques that your favorite artists do.

Make a mix that your proud of and one that you would like to post on SC, burn 20 or 20 copies, hand em out.

Expand your music collection. Then improve your music collection. Download podcasts, live sets and studio mixes from your favorite artists. Practice more, try to master the techniques that your favorite artists do. Expand your music collection. Then improve your music collection. Download podcasts, live sets and studio mixes from your favorite artists. Practice more, try to master the techniques that your favorite artists do. Expand your music collection. Then improve your music collection. Download podcasts, live sets and studio mixes from your favorite artists. Practice more, try to master the techniques that your favorite artists do. Expand your music collection. Then improve your music collection. Download podcasts, live sets and studio mixes from your favorite artists. Practice more, try to master the techniques that your favorite artists do.

Since a few years have passed, start mingling with other DJs/Producers in your area. You could probably find them at local events and clubs. Check out the DJ and see what kind of techniques he does.

Expand your music collection. Then improve your music collection. Download podcasts, live sets and studio mixes from your favorite artists. Practice more, try to master the techniques that your favorite artists do. Expand your music collection. Then improve your music collection. Download podcasts, live sets and studio mixes from your favorite artists. Practice more, try to master the techniques that your favorite artists do. Expand your music collection. Then improve your music collection. Download podcasts, live sets and studio mixes from your favorite artists. Practice more, try to master the techniques that your favorite artists do.

Then, find a promoter or local DJ to hand your mix to. Start connecting via FB, SC or other social network sites. Show your face to the same clubs every week. Let them know your passionate, but dont be needy and start mouthing off to other DJs or promoters. Theres a fine line between annoying and assertive.

Expand your music collection. Then improve your music collection. Download podcasts, live sets and studio mixes from your favorite artists. Practice more, try to master the techniques that your favorite artists do. Expand your music collection. Then improve your music collection. Download podcasts, live sets and studio mixes from your favorite artists. Practice more, try to master the techniques that your favorite artists do. Expand your music collection. Then improve your music collection. Download podcasts, live sets and studio mixes from your favorite artists. Practice more, try to master the techniques that your favorite artists do. Expand your music collection. Then improve your music collection. Download podcasts, live sets and studio mixes from your favorite artists. Practice more, try to master the techniques that your favorite artists do.

By now, you have played a few times at some clubs or bars. Most likely did a few house parties. Now your in what I call, the sweet spot. Your not being bombarded by "promoters" or high school kids that want you to DJ. Your getting a few gigs a month, maybe an outdoor festival of some sort. Maybe you get to open for a big local. Perhaps you get to play at an event thats hosting a BIG DJ.

Expand your music collection. Then improve your music collection. Download podcasts, live sets and studio mixes from your favorite artists. Practice more, try to master the techniques that your favorite artists do. Expand your music collection. Then improve your music collection. Download podcasts, live sets and studio mixes from your favorite artists. Practice more, try to master the techniques that your favorite artists do. Expand your music collection. Then improve your music collection. Download podcasts, live sets and studio mixes from your favorite artists. Practice more, try to master the techniques that your favorite artists do.

etc, etc.

Honestly, this is how most careers start. Producing can help speedup the process, but not by much. Learning how to produce a clean track, and being able to make multiple tunes takes just as long if youre passionate enough.

Or you could be lucky and be Pauly D.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by rofinny View Post
    Hey!
    I am Rhys (lacking a DJ name, lol), and I am a House/Dubstep DJ. I am only 14, and kinda trying to find a gig, maybe even ones that are paying gigs. Any advice? Good ideas on finding gigs, or setting up tracklists? I would appreciate it if you had some advice.
    Thanks for helping.
    Rhys
    PS:
    I live in a metro area, any advice for researching a gig in an urban area could help.
    I really respect your ambition.

Before I got my first club gig at 16 I would sit outside of a club just listening all night and peer through the windows, watching people. I ended up meeting a few people from my school who were 19 that helped me into the club scene, so to speak. They put the word in the bartender's ear that a kid was outside, every weekend, until closing, just enjoying the music. Then one night the resident DJ came out for a smoke, and I started talking to him. He became my mentor. I followed this guy everywhere. I made mix tapes every week for him to listen to, and I'd get quite a bit of critique from him.

If you can find a mentor, it will be so much easier; and just watch what your mentor is doing and try reading the crowd for yourself. One day they'll let you spin.

However you go about trying to acheive your goal, just keep practicing.

ps. I should mention that I never got paid to be in the club. I was still underage for the bar owners to pay me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexx View Post

Before I got my first club gig at 16 I would sit outside of a club just listening all night and peer through the windows, watching people. I ended up meeting a few people from my school who were 19 that helped me into the club scene, so to speak. They put the word in the bartender's ear that a kid was outside, every weekend, until closing, just enjoying the music. Then one night the resident DJ came out for a smoke, and I started talking to him. He became my mentor. I followed this guy everywhere. I made mix tapes every week for him to listen to, and I'd get quite a bit of critique from him.

If you can find a mentor, it will be so much easier; and just watch what your mentor is doing and try reading the crowd for yourself. One day they'll let you spin.

ps. I should mention that I never got paid to be in the club. I was still underage for the bar owners to pay me.
    This sounds so beautiful
    1210s - DJM-909 - MBP 13" - A6 - http://martinoscarsson.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rexx View Post

Wow. Thank you!
    The advice means alot.

Rexx.
    You just need to do alot of asking, Emailing and advertising. If your mixes on soundcloud then you will
    have a higher chance of performing. The thing about under 16s not being able to perform at over 21 gigs as DJ Elle Morgan (13) performs at over 21 clubs mostly and she
    has had more gigs than martin garrix and she is endorsed by Steve aoki. She started performing at those clubs when she was 11.
    I am 13 and I have a gig coming up. This is because I joined this DJ club and there are 8 weeks of training then you have a gig. That's how I got a gig.
    Remember:
    •Asking
    •Emailing
    •Advertising
    from, DJ Harry Parker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12