Advice for Young DJ's finding gigs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Advice for Young DJ's finding gigs?

Hey!
    I am Rhys (lacking a DJ name, lol), and I am a House/Dubstep DJ. I am only 14, and kinda trying to find a gig, maybe even ones that are paying gigs. Any advice? Good ideas on finding gigs, or setting up tracklists? I would appreciate it if you had some advice.
    Thanks for helping.
    Rhys
    PS:
    I live in a metro area, any advice for researching a gig in an urban area could help.

Quote Originally Posted by rofinny View Post
    Hey!
    I am Rhys (lacking a DJ name, lol), and I am a House/Dubstep DJ. I am only 14, and kinda trying to find a gig, maybe even ones that are paying gigs. Any advice? Good ideas on finding gigs, or setting up tracklists? I would appreciate it if you had some advice.
    Thanks for helping.
    Rhys
    PS:
    I live in a metro area, any advice for researching a gig in an urban area could help.
    Don't expect to play clubs you have to be over 18 or 21 depending on where you live. A good way to start is by giving people your mixes or productions.
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

Yep, at 14 any club owner is just going to laugh you out the door. When you're 16, you might be able to land a test slot for an under 18s night or something, but the sad fact is that management will just think: "He's a kid, he's gonna be crap."

If you just wanna play music to a crowd, do friends' parties and school discos and stuff like that; don't even bother trying to get a residency somewhere until you're older, because it just won't happen

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Yep, at 14 any club owner is just going to laugh you out the door. When you're 16, you might be able to land a test slot for an under 18s night or something, but the sad fact is that management will just think: "He's a kid, he's gonna be crap."

If you just wanna play music to a crowd, do friends' parties and school discos and stuff like that; don't even bother trying to get a residency somewhere until you're older, because it just won't happen
    im 17 years old and have a trial at a nightclub and if i do well i get permanent residency. Gotta have those connections, but yeah under 16 you have to be extremely lucky.

Just spend the time practicing and doing house parties with friends. Honest.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

school talent show and .....

you're 14, keep practicing, you dont have the income or the reliability to do any actual clubs

this industry will destroy most people your age if you try to get in too young, jacked up on all kinds of drugs, you'd prolly be taken advantage of by shady promoters or owners, robbed, killed etc etc

grow up a bit, stick to student functions if you can (like school dances or whatever) but even then most schools will hire and bring in outside talent who have better equipment than most 14 yr olds will have access to.

hell i bet a lot of us here have been DJing longer than you've been alive and would work a highschool spot for just a few hundred bucks

Tech Guru

Honestly, a school talent show won't really get you anywhere I don't think.

People like the music and all, but they aren't going to view it as talent unless you're finger drumming or scratching. People are just going to see it as button pushing.

I'm just theorizing anyways though.

Quote Originally Posted by rofinny View Post
    Hey!
    Thanks for helping.
    Rhys
    PS:
    i think a lot of younger djs today focus too much on finding gigs than perfecting their craft, i think you should just have fun, jam, build up a solid song library, work on your signature sound (and what makes you you) etc, stuff like that takes time

and... "setting up tracklists" is the easiest part!
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

Quote Originally Posted by DJZILCH View Post
    and... "setting up tracklists" is the easiest part!
    I just take the music I need that night with me, and play it in whatever order feels right at the time. And if anyone requests a song I either tell them "sorry, but I don't have that" if it's a reasonable request, or "fuck off" if its RnB or Dubstep.

Tech Wizard

Like people have mentioned, I would start small. You will get good practice that way, and it will most likely lead to bigger things. Also, take what other DJ's tell you with a grain of salt. Some of them will try to bring you down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast