Everyone's a DJ, but who's a DJ - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Being a DJ is the new "I wanna be a rockstar".

Wedding DJs and Club DJs are both DJs, they just have different duties.

At my school I know a lot of kids who call themselves "DJs" these tend to either be Kids with iPads or duchebags with Beats by Dr Dre. I can't stand them. They aren't DJs. Its so funny how I am treated by them as the DJ joke because once a week I pass out a mix to my friends. To them "real DJs only play live." Its that dumb Rock-Star mentality.
    Mapping Enthusiast
    S4 | X1 | F1 | MF3D

Tech Wizard

I guess I'm a retired dj since I quit playing out years ago. Being a professional dj and hobby dj are 2 different things but it doesn't necessarily make one better than the other.

I'm not saying all those kids claiming that they are DJs are, but I do believe that DJing is about a lot more than just making money out of it. I know a lot of great DJs who never got a paid gig because they don't want to. Some have anxiety or don't like crowds but are extremely talented.

DJing is about the passion for music. It's about bringing something different to the table, even if you only mix for your friends or yourself. Do I call myself a DJ? Yes, I do. I am recognized as one of the DJs in my circle of friends, the same way 7 other guys or so are too (out of maybe 30 people - extended group - ). I'm the yougest one, newest one and I'm still learning BUT, because I am passionnate about it, because I make the effort to become better everyday, I think I deserve to be called a DJ.

And when did I get that title with my friends? The day I got the balls to mix in front of some of them. It was a quiet night, 5-6 people but that day, I earned respect as a DJ. I have never made money out of mixing. And I seriously don't know if I ever will. But I don't care. Because I love to be behing the decks, and that's all that matter to me. I am a DJ, maybe not in your book, but in mine, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    We could make love next to your DJM2000, you could caress the EQ knobs as I hit the effects button... It would be so perfect.
    DJM-2000 + X1 + A8 + MBP 13 (early 2013)
    Backup: S4 - S2 - CDJ-400s - T.62s

I live in Detroit, everyone here is a dj/producer, you just learn to deal/get over it because every time you go out you handed a flyer / or demo from someone.

Who cares about the high school kids? Being a dj/producer in high school these days is like being in a alt/punk/hardcore garage band 15 years ago. it's the "cool" thing to do. Granted there is some talent and they will keep pushing, but most of the kids will stop once there rents stop buying them stuff.

If you got the skillz people will notice, If you don't people will forget about you.

Tech Mentor

Who cares? The OP sounds bitter. I carried around a bag of vinyl everywhere for years. I did it because it was fun. I never wanted to be a "DJ." I just like to play tunes.

Who really cares?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJMichaelHavok View Post
    IMO you are only truly a DJ when you successfully gain a residency at a club and receive a billing on the promos.
    until then, you're like an apprentice or a journeyman in the art
    When I was in college, the best DJ on campus never set foot in a club. He spinned DnB at a Sake bar every Saturday night for 10-30 people. He was by no means an apprentice. Then he became a bedroom DJ who accepted money from an internet radio station to mix 4 times a month. By your definition, he was not a DJ. By many others, he was a damn fine DJ.

You're a DJ when you invest time and money into playing recorded music for other people for an extended period of time. The term has evolved with the technology--not all of us are jockeying discs anymore. Try to rebut this.

I'm a club DJ turned mobile DJ turned wedding DJ. I resented that you thought an iPod could do what I do. But then you used the word "conversate" and it summed everything up for me. You're ignorant, so I'm not really bothered by any of your assertions.

Id like to weigh in on the subject:

This is a very serious distinction between someone who DJ's, and a DJ.
    Someone who DJ's:
    This is your average joe who got some equipment, learned how to play music from it, and gets hired to go from event to event playing music for a crowd. These people believe they are DJ's because those at the events call them "dj", or "The DJ". But these people IMO are in no way, shape, or form, real DJ's.
    They have the ability to play music. They may be able to beatmatch, or scratch, or mix in key (although not likely) but that doent make them a skilled DJ, or a DJ at that. The factor that prevents them from getting the title DJ, is they dont dedicate themselves fully to the work that goes behind being a dj. Be it club or mobile, if your not dedicating the majority of your time practicing, researching, or playing, then your not a dj.
    A Real DJ:
    Has dedicated the majority of their resources into the art of being a DJ. To me, technically and skill wise, the reason that makes them a DJ is they dont just "have" equipment, they have Their equipment. A real dj is able to do EVERYTHING on his equipment and has a full understanding the ways to manipulate music using said equipment. Not only tht, but a real dj, can go up to YOUR equipment, (unless your also a real dj) and use it better than you.
    But mastery of equipment is only part of the battle.
    reputation plays a major role in it.
    A real dj is a name. people here abut who will be spinning, and KNOW they will have a good time. Im a mobile dj, so considering that i feel a REAL mobile dj is one who says their price, and people pay it. little to no questions asked. When you can tell someone, "this is my price, and your going to pay it because you know the work i do" and they accept that, you are a real dj.

Notice i did not mention skill as much because honestly, being a real dj OBVIOUSLY recquires skill. and still, u dont have to be the most talented dj ever to be a real dj.

at this moment in time: I am not a real dj. I hope to be one day, but i understand that its more time than i have at the moment.
    Id also like to say that being a mobile dj for my little viewpoint is much more difficult then being a club dj. reason being?
    PEOPLE GO TO A CLUB TO DANCE,
    just becuase someone goes to a wedding or a party doesnt mean they plan on dancing. they may be there for the friends or association. but at a club, you prbly dont know the people outside of your small group, and you go there with the intention of DEFF having a good time.
    Simplicity is Beautiful

Tech Guru

Thanks to Traktor DJ on my ipad, I am now a REAL DJ.
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast