External HD choice. LaCie 500GB or Samsung 1T - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If you want full rugged protection, get the LaCie.

If you just want to back up your music etc. the Samsung is a good choice. I've just picked one up myself for backing up my music to. First USB3 drive, and I am very impressed with the speeds. Used to take me over 2 hours to back up my music collection, now takes just under 40 mins with the Samsung. I have dropped it a few times (while not connected) and it still works fine.

Just out of interest, why do you want to move your library to an external hard drive to play off of? If you've got the space on the internal drive, I wouldn't suggest doing it to be honest!
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

Nice one dude, been reading a LOT if pure positive reviews about it. Excited.
    One question, how do I 'use' the 3.0 USB... Is my MacBook Pro already USB3 compatible!? Do I just use the USB3 lead or?
    I hope I don't drop mine! Lol.

Well, tbh I wasn't fully planning on actually 'playing my tracks off of it'. More to just free space on my MBP. I have about 71GB left, I'm OCD freaking out thinking I just need to have tons of free space lol. My iTunes library is about 24GB atm, just think it'd be nice to have an extra 24GB of space on my MacBook HD. But, I wouldn't REALLY feel safe always having to take my external HD out everytime I gig.

Would you not recommend actually doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    Nice one dude, been reading a LOT if pure positive reviews about it. Excited.
    One question, how do I 'use' the 3.0 USB... Is my MacBook Pro already USB3 compatible!? Do I just use the USB3 lead or?
    I hope I don't drop mine! Lol.

Well, tbh I wasn't fully planning on actually 'playing my tracks off of it'. More to just free space on my MBP. I have about 71GB left, I'm OCD freaking out thinking I just need to have tons of free space lol. My iTunes library is about 24GB atm, just think it'd be nice to have an extra 24GB of space on my MacBook HD. But, I wouldn't REALLY feel safe always having to take my external HD out everytime I gig.

Would you not recommend actually doing that?
    Depends on if your macbook has a USB3 port/s. I know on my windows laptop the centre bit of the USB3 port is blue, rather than black on the USB2 ports. Don't know about mac, you'll have to look up the specs. You don't have to do anything special, just plug it in with the supplied lead.

I would say that 71GB free on the internal drive is enough (don't quote me on that though as I've never owned a mac!)

I just personally wouldn't feel comfortable storing/using my music from an external drive. Too many things that could go wrong, accidentally knock out the cable/knock the drive off the desk, forget to bring it with me etc. I don't see that it would make a difference to actually using it with traktor whatever, I just personally wouldn't trust it!
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by robdquick View Post
    Depends on if your macbook has a USB3 port/s. I know on my windows laptop the centre bit of the USB3 port is blue, rather than black on the USB2 ports. Don't know about mac, you'll have to look up the specs. You don't have to do anything special, just plug it in with the supplied lead.

I would say that 71GB free on the internal drive is enough (don't quote me on that though as I've never owned a mac!)

I just personally wouldn't feel comfortable storing/using my music from an external drive. Too many things that could go wrong, accidentally knock out the cable/knock the drive off the desk, forget to bring it with me etc. I don't see that it would make a difference to actually using it with traktor whatever, I just personally wouldn't trust it!
    I really don't know wether my MacBook has USB3 or not, I know it just has 2 USB slots next to each other.
    Well, I think 71GB is kind of a lot, I've used up 88GB so far, SOMEHOW I do not know? Lol.

That is a good point tbh, and one of my worries, just imagine forgetting my X HD, or loosing the cable etc, I think I should just bare with it and just stick to using a new xHD for music and samples back ups etc. tbh, I could just get a new internal HD installed into my MacBook if needed... Like a 500gb-1TB HD, I know apple said that they don't actually install new HDs themselves, so I could just buy one from them and get another genuine shop to install it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12