External HD choice. LaCie 500GB or Samsung 1T
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default External HD choice. LaCie 500GB or Samsung 1T

Need to get myself an External HD, using my dads seagate Goflex 250GB atm and need to get my own now.

Got my eye on two, 1 is - LaCie Rugged mini 500GB (3.0 USB) X Hard Disk Drive £69
    Or,

Samsung M3 1TB (30. USB) slimline portable Hard Drive: £58.99.

People have recommended the LaCie's to me, but for £10 less, then the LaCie 500GB, I can get a Samsung 1TB...
    Should I sacrifice a whole 500GB for the LaCie or should I get a less known one for £10 cheaper and an extra 500GB and get the Samsung HD?

It's just going to hold my MacBook Pro system back up and all my music and samples, and will be staying at my home studio.

Cheers

The Samsung and LaCie drives are made by the same manufacturer (Seagate), so it's all pretty much irrelevant. Just go with whichever offers you the better deal, which in this case would be the Samsung.

Oh right that's good to know then. Just seems weird that the 1TB is cheaper then the 500GB, makes me worry about qualify, but Samsung is pretty solid, so I think I will go for that one.

Thanks for clearing that up dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    Oh right that's good to know then. Just seems weird that the 1TB is cheaper then the 500GB, makes me worry about qualify, but Samsung is pretty solid, so I think I will go for that one.

Thanks for clearing that up dude.
    I think the main difference is just that the LaCie is marketed as a "rugged" drive, although in my experience every spinning disk is fragile when it's powered, and almost indestructible when it's not lol.

Yeah that's a valid point, it won't be moved about much tbh, from one side of my desk to the other lol...
    I've just checked up on the amazon reviews for the Samsung 1TB drive, and a lot of people have said about it not being compatible with OSX out of the box, and you have to 're-format' it/erase in Mac disk utility... Do you know if this is a problem or not? Like a long process? I'm not to clued up on reformatting and all that.. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    Yeah that's a valid point, it won't be moved about much tbh, from one side of my desk to the other lol...
    I've just checked up on the amazon reviews for the Samsung 1TB drive, and a lot of people have said about it not being compatible with OSX out of the box, and you have to 're-format' it/erase in Mac disk utility... Do you know if this is a problem or not? Like a long process? I'm not to clued up on reformatting and all that.. Lol
    Haha no, it's a 10 second process. Applications --> Disk Utility --> Highlight Drive --> Format as HPFS+

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

LaCie Rugged is exactly what it says. I have one and i have dropped it from 4 feet and it bounced a bit and was totally ok.

Definitely a good choice if your gonna be gigging with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    Haha no, it's a 10 second process. Applications --> Disk Utility --> Highlight Drive --> Format as HPFS+
    Ah alright nice one man, thanks!

@Karlos Santos - Yeah I've heard there pretty sturdy! I will more than likely get a LaCie Rugged 500GB/1TB at a later date to gig with! Just need one to store backups and samples atm. Have you got the normal Lacie GB or TB, mini, or? Cheers man!

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I have a pretty old LaCie Rugged 360GB FireWire (7200rpm).
    I just use it for backing up anything and everything at the moment but I did use it temporarily with Traktor and loading tracks into decks was very quick.

Hm That's something I want to do also... Back up my entire iTunes collection to an external HD, then delete my entire library from my MBP, and just use that to play my tracks, my Traktor collection is currently all imported from iTunes, and I ran I to some problems when I last backed up my iTunes library to an old x HD I had to re-locate me entire Traktor library again.

Would you recommend backing up my iTunes library to an X HD and re-locating again and just using it that way for my tracks, in Traktor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast