1 of my studio monitors is only playing half as loud as the other... - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
    I wouldn't know what to do in them circumstances lol, but I'm about to but some XLR-XLR cables and that should do the trick. As I said, the XLR master outs of my mixer give normal volume, so that's okay for me. Strange that there's such a significant volume drop when using the TRS master outs, but oh well, in getting a new mixer soon so it's all okay!

I will re-post here when I get and test the new XLRs!
    It's because they're not TRSes, they're TSes fed off the same circuit as the RCA output

I know it has RCA outs for the booth, but did you try adjusting the booth volume anyways? check to see if you changed something on the xfader settings?

Also from looking at the manual for the mixer, the XLR outputs are at 4DB, where the TRS are at 0DB. So you would have a bit of a difference there, but not to the point you couldn't hear anything out of one side.

A difference of 3dB is a halving/doubling of the overall volume, and one side is half as loud as the other... there we go :P

Quote Originally Posted by lingk View Post
    I know it has RCA outs for the booth, but did you try adjusting the booth volume anyways? check to see if you changed something on the xfader settings?

Also from looking at the manual for the mixer, the XLR outputs are at 4DB, where the TRS are at 0DB. So you would have a bit of a difference there, but not to the point you couldn't hear anything out of one side.
    I use the booth monitor to record my mixes in Traktor! :-) The booth monitor is always on just over half so theres no red when im recording! I haven;t got a manual for it, and havet looked up on the internet, but okay, so thats more than likely the reason? Plus what @mdcdesign said, must all be why ive had these problems..

@mdcdesign - woah, lol, okay then.. I didn't even know that existed, what on earth is TS then, why not just TRS? ufff I need to learn more about this!

It's weird though, becasue i have a really cheap behringer uca222 interface, that only has RCA ins and outs, i have my monitors connected from RCA to RCA, just when im playing tracks from youtube itunes etc, and logic... and the volume is fine then, booming infact, but it does sound slighty muffly where its just ONE phono lead split to go into two monitors :/

Is it just literally the TRS/TS connection that is lower? cheers

Quote Originally Posted by mdcdesign View Post
    I've had noooo luck finding 4m xlr to xlr leads. (just done a measure up and 3m is only long enough to reach one monitor, the other one (the quiet one) is going to need a 4m)...

Shall I just buy the two from the links u posted dude? 6m is too long for both monitors, but heck there not too expensive, i have found some 5m ones, but there 9quid each... so i may just deal with having a bit of loose lead hanging about, its going to be behind/under desks anyway tho so not much bother... I would just like 4m versions of the ones you posted but there just nowhere to be seen :s

Tech Guru

Just go for the 6m cables, you may need the extra at some point and it can be easily hidden/tied away.

These are the different jack plugs you'll see: http://img.tfd.com/cde/TRRS.GIF

TS is Mono, TRS is either Stereo or Balanced Mono.
    Last edited by makar1; 02-27-2013 at 03:04 PM.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

So this is a dumb question and could have been answered already and should have been your first trouble shooting step. But, did you unplug the loud speaker from your mixer(leaving the cable installed into the mixer) and connecting the low speaker to the XLR cable in the mixer and see if it's at normal volume.

Sounds like it's just the loudness difference between the XLR and TRS outputs on the mixer

Tech Guru

The speakers were switched and have been shown not to be the issue. The TS Master Out of the DJM500 is unbalanced and puts out a weaker signal than the XLR Master Out.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234