Live Band+DJ

Thread: Live Band+DJ

Default Live Band+DJ

Hey everyone, I have a question about a live set up:

I am currently playing for a touring pop/house group that is full band (Drums, Guitar, Bass, Vocals). My question is about the fact that we are going to incorporate a DJ into the mix, much like the set up of Modestep. I was wondering how to fade a click to the drummer from Traktor (or Ableton is a possibility) for tracks. I know about panning click to the left and running tracks right because we do that now with a macbook. However, adding the flavor of a DJ makes it a little more confusing for getting click to the dummer because your tracks are now with the DJ. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Tech Mentor

Traktors click goes out via the headphone output so just give the drummer that feed

Are you able to pan the click? Also, wouldnt the DJ have a click as well? It probably wouldn't be a big deal, but it might be an annoyance. Is there some way to run 2 separate computers linked to the same session? Id like to make the set up where the drums can control his own level, and DJ controls his own levels.

You could use an external metronome that is synced to the DJ's time code. This could be done through ableton and traktor possibly. It really depends on the gear the DJ is using.

Give us a gear list. What are you guys using, we should be able to help better if we know what you have.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DillonJones View Post
    Id like to make the set up where the drums can control his own level, and DJ controls his own levels.
    That's what Send/Return channels are for. Make two returns and control the volume of each source with the send. The drummer can have a controller next to him so he can tweak it to his liking. You will need something more than the mac's soundcard if you need to output A) DJ Audio/Mix B) Drummer Mix C) Running Tracks

I run a similar setup with my band.
    Last edited by padi_04; 02-27-2013 at 09:32 PM.