Dj's who have a residency/club night, how much are you getting paid per night?
    Tech Convert

Default Dj's who have a residency/club night, how much are you getting paid per night?

Wondering because I'm throwing my hat in for an interview for a DJ Job. One of the biggest cities in Michigan... If I were to get the job I'd be grateful but at the same time would want to ask for a fair pay. In the listing they've only specified being "a dance club" so I can't say what genre I'd be spinning but I'd be good to know what genre and city you guys are spinning in as well as how much you get paid as well as typical set length/time of night. I appreciate any info ya'll could give me. Thanks.

Hey bud, congrats on interview, I hope it goes great!

When it comes to pay there are two things to consider man; your credentials and the size of the place.

a) Your credentials:
    - have you played out much before? have you had residencies before?
    - your skill level
    - do you have releases, or popular dj mixes/routines: or more simply do you have a following that will come see you play and make the bar money?
    - are you only djing or are you also going to be heavily involved in promoting?

B) Size of the bar
    - Is it a small loungey bar where every patron knows the owner personally OR
    - Is it a high earning, huge club with a TONNE of patrons that come in every week
    Its likely somewhere in the middle.
    - Its also good to consider what night you are going to be playing on. If your playing on a weekday when its a lot quieter, you'll be getting paid a lot less.

If you let us know a bit more about the place and your responsibilities, we could probably let you know what a fair price would be.

In general, for tiny tiny bars your probably looking at up to 200ish a night. For larger clubs anywhere from 250-500 depending on how long you play for and what nights you play on. If you have responsibilities on top of djing or your incredibly skilled or if you have a big following, these can go up

hope that helps!
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

Tech Convert

I have a small following of friend I could get to come in the "scene". I've played a festival and a couple events in Chicago. I'm willing to promote as music is a passsion (like it isn't for DJ's but I produce music too.) But they were vague in the ad so most of B I cant answer.

Quote Originally Posted by IznremiX View Post
    Hey bud, congrats on interview, I hope it goes great!

When it comes to pay there are two things to consider man; your credentials and the size of the place.

a) Your credentials:
    - have you played out much before? have you had residencies before?
    - your skill level
    - do you have releases, or popular dj mixes/routines: or more simply do you have a following that will come see you play and make the bar money?
    - are you only djing or are you also going to be heavily involved in promoting?

B) Size of the bar
    - Is it a small loungey bar where every patron knows the owner personally OR
    - Is it a high earning, huge club with a TONNE of patrons that come in every week
    Its likely somewhere in the middle.
    - Its also good to consider what night you are going to be playing on. If your playing on a weekday when its a lot quieter, you'll be getting paid a lot less.

If you let us know a bit more about the place and your responsibilities, we could probably let you know what a fair price would be.

In general, for tiny tiny bars your probably looking at up to 200ish a night. For larger clubs anywhere from 250-500 depending on how long you play for and what nights you play on. If you have responsibilities on top of djing or your incredibly skilled or if you have a big following, these can go up

hope that helps!
    great reply here

its weird that its an open interview for a dance club for a DJ, USUALLY, those places contact DJs already getting promo billings and ask how much they would charge to do their establishment on whatever night of the week (assuming its a new club)

if a DJ decides to take a gig at another location and leaves the place he is working at, then if they are on good relations and can't come to a monetary understanding or agreement then the club usaully asks their prior DJ if they have anyone they know who would step in their shoes (or will promote one of their usual guest DJs or other resident)

pretty weird....

Ive answered one of these ads before and ended up working at a strip club called the Gold Lounge for like 3 months LOL
    one of the most fun gigs ive ever had, until it was busted by the feds

to answer your question - I work 6 nights a week and make right under 1700 + bar tabs, i do private house parties and stuff like that a lot these days though, and have been very fortunate to have a repeat offender who does stuff at his place every saturday and pays 500
    Last edited by DJMichaelHavok; 02-27-2013 at 03:41 AM.
    Z2, Kontrol X1 x2, Kontrol F1 x2, HP Elitebook 8440p, Traktor 2.6.1, Pioneer HDJ-1500

What city in Michigan? only really 2 "big" city's in Michigan.