volume on computer for the soundcard???
    Tech Wizard

Default volume on computer for the soundcard???

Hey guys!

I know how to set the gain on channels and the master output....

But what about the soundcard in the controller....I mean I have a volume fader for that soundcard in my computer (just like when you ajust the speaker on the down-right corner in windows)

How do you guys set up it....all the way up???

THANKS for your help!

JT

For me I adjust it to taste when using head phones.

If I'm using powered speakers that have their own volume control, I put the computers volume at about 95% and use the the speakers to control the volume. If they are studio monitors where it's not easy to adjust the volume, ie KRK's, I put them at 0DB and adjust the computer volume as needed.

If for whatever reason you're using your computer soundcard to play out live, I would put it at 100% and then adjust the volume on the mixer input / output & front of house to be loud but not in the red on the VU meter

Tech Mentor

I often think about a similar problem when it comes to the inline audio control on the Audio 2, as traktor's meters obviously don't account for it.
    If Im just mixing on my own, I keep the computer volume at 100%, then if I need it to be more comfortable I'll adjust using the in-line audio control to whatever is comfortable for me. Playing out, I'd keep the computer and in-line at 100%, and just use the volume faders. At the end of the day, you don't want to be factoring in too many stages of audio coming out of your laptop when you're trying to play out and end up over-complicating things. If it comes out too loud, it can be turned down on the stereo system or at the club mixer stage.
    Countenance - (n). Appearance or expression. (v.) Admit or accept as possible.

Tech Wizard

thanks guys

I was asking cuz I usually let it at 100% but was wondering if it can cause clipping but I guess it depends of the soundcard.
    I'm currently using a mixtrack pro and the soundcard is not really good to my opinion. When plugged in my pio SDJ05 I just can't leave the EQ at 12. this sound so bright I have the high and mids at about 10 and the bass at 2. Maybe having the level on the computer to 100 make the things even worst...

Anyway I want to switch to something better but wait to see if Native will have like an S4 MKII or denon something to replace the MC6000.

Tech Mentor

I don't think that the soundcard in the Mixtrack is any good either, your best best is to get an audio 2 or something.
    Don't worry about the computer levels, any clipping/distortion will be at the software gain stages, not the computer soundcard stage (that's my understanding of it anyway)
    Countenance - (n). Appearance or expression. (v.) Admit or accept as possible.