static =(

Thread: static =(

Default static =(

i run traktor pro on my laptop with some studio monitors and when i plug my laptop into the power i get really bad static, but when i unplug the power its crystal clear.

i assume u go in via ur line out jack from the laptop? no audiointerface? if it is like that than it is caused by your line out...
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

hey

No its a very common problem with laptops, it comes from the transformer (power block) on the power cable. With a lot of laptops they use a relatively cheap transformer that, while is perfectly fine for doing the job of powering the laptop, introduces a lot of interference into the sound of the system, especially on the internal sound card.

Options are a) just use it on battery b) get a decent external sound card c) buy an expensive audio specific transformer.

k

I get this problem on my hp laptop, even with my Audio Kontrol 1. I run 1/4" speaker cables, un-shielded, to my Yamaha MSR speakers. They are all within close proximity and the speakers will pick up a small buzz/hum whenever the laptop is plugged into the charger.

Does anyone have a online store or recommended place to get higher quality laptop transformers?

If I got shielded 1/4" cables (or TSR cables) would this fix the problem or is it the inner hardware connections of my laptop?
    Cables can get expensive, especially the longer they get :\
    DJ Scuba
    Traktor/Ableton DJ, (Learning) Producer, and EDM Audiophile

VCI-100 SE - Audio Kontrol 1 - Traktor Pro - Akai MPD32 - Akai APC 20 - Akai MPK Mini -

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

This is a very common problem and is called Ground Loop Hum (amongst other things).
    Its easily cured. One way is to snap off the Ground Pin from your Laptop adapter. Many people advocate this. I think its stupid and dangerous (here comes a lesson in electrical safety off someone). I would not do it.

The best way to solve this is to buy a cheap Isolator (you may need 2, one for each channel). You place them between your soundcard and the Mixer.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=33172

Some people stupidly blame the software (Traktor) for this problem. Its simply a consequence of using the wonder that is electricity

I have 2 of these with me at all times. You often find that in clubs and bars the DJ booth is on the same electrical ring as the Bar Fridges etc . This can cause a huge HUM when you hook up your gear. The isolators solve the problem.

Works for me and has done for years.
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 08-21-2009 at 05:39 AM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    This is a very common problem and is called Ground Loop Hum (amongst other things).

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=33172

Works for me and has done for years.
    Thanks

Just picked up an Audio 2 and had this issue when using a external monitor with my laptop.

I picked up this from radio shack and solved issue.

Thanks Karlos, I knew what the problem was. I just did not know there was another solution besides a DI box.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Wicked , glad to help. Those little things are LIFE savers.
    You just dont think they are gonna work but they do.

Karlos

Tech Wizard

i have the same problem, but i doesnt matter if i have my laptops power plugged in or out, the sound stays the same (crackling)

Should i also get those cables or do i have another problem?

Quote Originally Posted by schaap View Post
    i have the same problem, but i doesnt matter if i have my laptops power plugged in or out, the sound stays the same (crackling)

Should i also get those cables or do i have another problem?
    latency problem. cannot fix with any number of cables :P
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Wizard

i installed the latest drivers and now the thing works perfect.. i thought the drivers from the NI website where the same as the ones on the cd which came with the sound card..

problem solved, thanx for the help hipnotikk
    Last edited by schaap; 10-11-2009 at 04:34 AM.