Broadcasting issues, listeners drop on transition.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Broadcasting issues, listeners drop on transition.

Hi all,

I am trying to broadcast for some of my friends who are playing various games and have been requesting gaming music. I am using traktor s2 pro and icecast as win32 server on the dj machine (no separate dj server, yet)

For some reason, every time i do anything on the non-active deck, all of my listeners drop, and need to refresh the link completely.... UNLESS if they use foodbar as a player for listening. ( so basically, every time i start cueing a new song in or do a transition). Browsers do not reconnect automatically, neither does winamp. Only foobar works, and i dont know why.

This also happened on my previous setup through VDJ to icecast and liste2myradio and whatnot. I am going insane with this, as my friends are so lazy that they dont want to install any external softwares for listening and keep buggering me to fix this issue, but google has a lot of these questions, but no answers whatsoever.

I would be posting this on icecast forums, but it is most likely not icecast issue as i've had it with other encoders as well. (Or maybe they all have something in the default config i'm unaware of) I can also find several reports of this via google, but none of the questions/reports have any solutions in them :/

I am clueless what to do, I've followed several guides and there should be nothing wrong with my setup. Can anyone help a beginner?
    Last edited by Nukemi; 02-02-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Tech Convert

I am still struggling with this one unfortunately. Only foobar works, and its not very easy to get my friends to tune in if they have to install additional software ;(

Does anyone have any tips?

For starter you need a good internet connection with sufficient upload bandwidth. If you don't have it, neither IceCast, ShoutCast and pal will work properly.

If you're on PC you could try BUTT for your broadcast, it works with IceCast AND Shoutcast server.

You could give a shot to Mixlr, but I doubt it will solve your problem.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zorilow View Post
    For starter you need a good internet connection with sufficient upload bandwidth. If you don't have it, neither IceCast, ShoutCast and pal will work properly.

If you're on PC you could try BUTT for your broadcast, it works with IceCast AND Shoutcast server.

You could give a shot to Mixlr, but I doubt it will solve your problem.
    Hi, thanks for taking time to reply to my help request.

I am running 100m/20m bandwith and naturally my computer is attached by cable directly to the router, should be ok for low amount of listeners i think. However, the odd part is, that i've had 6 people listening at once on foobar with absolutely no problem on 192k, but if the listeners use any other method to listen to my stream, they will drop every time i transition a track. I am relatively experienced with networking (IT network engineer by profession), so i've forwarded the correct ports and such, there is something fishy going on with this and i cant get my heard around it :/

I am losing my mind with this.

I've found several people over the interwebs complaining about this, but no-one has had a solution. Using foobar as a client is the only workaround i've found so far.

I'll try mixlr and BUTT when i get home today, thanks again!

Tech Convert

I just found out that it might have something to do with metadata, as i found by googling that people have had odd audio breaks because the track name is displayed.

I really hope this is is, just have to find a way to disable it now so it only shows the radio station's name.

Im having hard time trying to figure this out on icecast, i wonder if any other encoder would be easier to manage than it's .txt settings file.

Let us know what happen. Try a lower bitrate, 128Kbps never gave give problem but, somehow I could have been lucky to broadcast on "stable" shoutcast server.

Winamp + ShoutcastDsp is also a workable solution, but the audio input source choice is damn poor unless you add some other plug-in for it...

Quote Originally Posted by Nukemi View Post
    I just found out that it might have something to do with metadata, as i found by googling that people have had odd audio breaks because the track name is displayed.
    I had this problem in the past when trying to push a .mp3 stream with winamp/shoutcast and/or vlc. I changed it by pushing a .ogg stream direct to my hosted icecast server, a couple of listeners said they had the same issue. I'm now using Mixlr and don't have any complaints. Mixlr Showreel also has it's benefits :-)

Tech Convert

I am currently broadcasting as .ogg myself, as traktor does not allow other formats.

I am broadcasting directly from my PC desktop tho(which is my dj station simultaneously), I've got several laptops lying around, so if it really comes to having an separate server, i can do that as well.

I assume one can disable showing the track titles on MIXLR? I certainly hope so, as i strongly believe this issue takes root in the metadata. What else could it be?

I've already registered to mixlr here, and am now setting it up to home computer through remote, hope it helps. Will report soon-ish (should do some work as well at some point but i prefer doing this!)

mixlr doesn't show anything, neither Winamp or BUTT as they use a audio source only.

VDJ, Traktor built-in feature can on the other hand acces the track name .. it's built-in...

metadata is a plausible issue. Maybe some specific character are to blame?!?

Tech Convert

Ok, so im trying to set up mixlr here to start troubleshooting this, and when i set it up, it does not detect audio from my traktor. (it is possible that my remote through logmein.com is mixing it up somehow as it does not repeat audio without bought license, have to see to that when i get home)

The way my setup is wired is that i have Traktor kontrol 2, where RCA goes into my yamaha receiver from the kontrol S2 output sockets to receiver AV5. And the controller is plugged by USB to my computer.

This works for broadcasting with icecast, but now im googling how get mixlr to detect the audio, and i found this link:
    http://support.mixlr.com/customer/po...ontroller-mac-

I know it is not for kontrol 2, but in there it says this:
    Traktor is sending audio to Output 1-2, whilst Mixlr is trying to receive audio from Input 1-2.

Simply physically route Output 1-2 to Input 1-2 on the Hercules using a phono to phono cable:

I am bit confused here on to what/how should i plug what and where now to get this work as my traktor kontrol S2 has no inputs slots like that (as you can see from the picture)

Below, traktor backpanel:
    http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/qua...b4016ef8b7.jpg

Should i change my cabling around somehow to get the audio to be recognized?

(I know, this is bit off the topic from the previous problem, but i need to resolve this first in order to start troubleshooting this with mixlr instead of icecast ,) )

edit2: i found this, which im trying to understand.

http://djsizzly.com/content/internet...s2-and-traktor

I am just wondering, should i get an separate soundcard to my PC along with the traktor S2's built-in one?

And once again, thank you so much for help so far, you people are incredible!
    Last edited by Nukemi; 02-27-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast