Help with New key detection in Traktor....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help with New key detection in Traktor....

So i am re analysing my track collection to determine the key of the tracks with the new feature in Traktor. I've never mixed like this before and have read bits and bobs about harmonic mixing. Ive looked into the camelot wheel and totally understand that and it seems straight forward enough. The question i have is as my tracks are getting the key on Traktor they are coming up with like Em, Gm Cm G#m, E, D# whereas on the camelot wheel they talk about 1a, 2a, 3a, 3b and so on. So how do i work with which goes with what when the key on traktor doesnt have numbers on. Im sorry if this is a really dumb question just not totally understanding it at the minute??
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

Go into the Traktor Settings and change the key option to "Open Key Text" or something like that. I am not sure what it's called because I do not have my laptop in front of me right now.

thank you very much that's sorted that i thnk, they now read 1m, 1d, 7m, 7d etc, is that right? Do i need to change both the options to the open Key the display in traktor and the written to file tags?
    Last edited by paulmac; 02-28-2013 at 04:47 PM.
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

it's up to you..

checking the "written to file tags" options, traktor will embed the key into the mp3/m4a file in the format 1,2,3,4,5 format. if you leave unchecked it will embed the audio file with the real key format.. ( Em, Gm Cm G#m, E, D# ).

why in the camelot whell are they all 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b thru to 12a and 12b and in traktor they arent the same? they are like i said 1m, 1d and so on

thanks mate, i searched harmonic mixing and didnt find that, appreciate it

Tech Mentor

If you're familiar with the Camelot wheel, the Open key is the same except m = minor and d = major (something to do with Latin), as the Camelot thing is now owned by Mixed in Key.

In Traktor, you've got two settings, "write" and "display" - "write" controls how Traktor's key detection writes to the tags, as musical keys, or as the new open key format. "Display" controls how they are displayed in Traktor. Therefore, you can write as a musical key, but have it show up in Traktor translated as open key. You can also now analyze key and gain separately from the rest of the track.
    Countenance - (n). Appearance or expression. (v.) Admit or accept as possible.

so basically, camelot wheel = 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b thru to 12a, 12b and the traktor is 1d, 1m, 2d, 2m thru to 12d, 12m? so therefore to harmonically mix you could go like this 2d, 3d, 3m, 4m 4d, 5d etc etc

Tech Mentor

Yup, it's exactly the same as Camelot except they've changed the letters.
    Also, if you do -5 (e.g. 7m - 2m) it takes you one semi-tone up (D#m to Em), and if you do +5 (e.g. 5d to 10d) it takes you down a semitone (in this case, C# to C) - useful to know for cutting up tracks through the scale.
    Countenance - (n). Appearance or expression. (v.) Admit or accept as possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast