Transferring mp3 files into itunes
    Tech Wizard

Default Transferring mp3 files into itunes

So I went through my old hard drive today and found a few hundred songs that I want to stick in a playlist in itunes. I selected them all, and pasted them into a folder on the desktop, then selected them all again and tried to paste into this new playlist in itunes... Every time I paste it, it transfers maybe 180 tracks, and that's it... I've gone through and manually played every song in this file on the desktop, all of them are working, but I can't seem to transfer all of them to this playlist!

Any ideas?

im confused on to what exactly you are trying to do

remove them from the old HD because you wont use that anymore and have them available to iTunes but some of them wont transfer into iTunes from the NEW location?

If that is whats happening then try this

Take them from their OLD location,
    drag them all into iTunes
    correct (edit song info) on any tracks you need to like meta tags and titles and stuff
    now go create a folder somewhere on the machine you always want to find them.
    now keep in mind, the files are STILL located on your old HD at this point.
    Once you know your new itunes playlist is the way you want it, SELECT ALL on the songs in that list
    Make sure EVERYTHING is highlighted
    drag the songs from the list, directly into the folder you just created

now itunes should be creating a new copy of all the songs in the list, into the new location.

Once thats done. make a new playlist
    drag the songs from the NEW location into it,
    check the song info to make sure the file path is adjusted.
    Great... now try playing some of them in iTunes
    still working? awesome......
    you just moved them,..... now delete the originals from the old HD if you dont want them anymore.

I hope that helps you get what you want my man

Tech Wizard

Thank you for the reply! I will try to explain it better... Basically, I have 300+ songs on an external hard drive. I connected the hard drive, and transfered all of the songs onto a file on my desktop. Then I created a new playlist in Itunes, and dragged all of the files into this playlist. When the transfer was done, it only showed 187 songs... So I tried it again, still the same thing. I have played every song individually in itunes, still no luck. Every time I try to drag across, or copy and paste all 300+ songs, it reduces them to 187. They are all MP3's and as I said, they all work perfectly when played on their own... I am so confused ;-)

even though they might look like mp3s in the folder its possible you have some m4a files in there instead as well.

Please follow my original suggestion. I know you cant get them ALL into iTunes from the new folder,
    but they do work from the old location.
    As i said above,
    drag them into itunes from their OLD location
    and let iTunes be the one to spit them ALL out into the new location

Tech Wizard

The thing is, I cannot get the itunes playlist to be the way I want it. When I drag 300 songs into the playlist, only 180 transfer! That is my problem... So I would love to have itunes sort out the files for me, but itunes doesn't appear to be seeing all the files...

yes Danel i understand what you are saying "now"
    but im reading what you typed originally

So I went through my old hard drive today and found a few hundred songs that I want to stick in a playlist in itunes. I selected them all, and pasted them into a folder on the desktop, then selected them all again and tried to paste into this new playlist in itunes... Every time I paste it, it transfers maybe 180 tracks,
    you said you cant get all the files into itunes but why did you paste them into a folder to begin with?
    the suggestion im going for is to take them from their very original location (before you pasted them to a folder on the desktop) and see if itunes recognizes them that way

did you try that as well or did i miss that?

Tech Wizard

Well, they were on an external hard drive originally, so I figured the best way would be for me to create a folder in my desktop, paste them into that, disconnect the external hard drive, and transfer them from this folder into itunes.

I have just made sure everything was backed up on my external hard drive. I deleted everything from itunes, so starting from scratch, I manually played every song in this 300+ list. Each one opens correctly, so then I created a playlist. I selected all the songs in the main "Songs" category of itunes, and then dragged them to the playlist. Only 186 songs transfered to this playlist...

I have tried to delete itunes to reinstall it, but it won't allow me, saying itunes is required by mac OSX... I'm loosing my mind ;-)

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by antifmradio View Post

you said you cant get all the files into itunes but why did you paste them into a folder to begin with?
    the suggestion im going for is to take them from their very original location
    I'm deleting everything from my mac, and going from the original location, to see if that works ;-) I will let you know! Thanks again for your help...

Tech Wizard

Still no luck...

Tech Mentor

Try going into the iTunes menu at the top, "add folder to library" select the folder you copied all your tunes from the external drive into. It should import all the songs into your iTunes library, from which you could then make a playlist.

EDIT: Also, there's a setting if you right click on the playlist and "edit" that limits the number of items in a playlist. Just make sure it isn't activated.
    Last edited by CountenanT; 03-03-2013 at 01:25 PM.
    Countenance - (n). Appearance or expression. (v.) Admit or accept as possible.