To sit or not to sit? that's the question...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default To sit or not to sit? that's the question...

Obviously in a club setting I know dj's always stand but I wonder while at home or in a area of practice how many people sit down to play there routines or just jam out. I have always had a personal battle with this and just wanted to get a feel on this.

Tech Wizard

personally, i sit down at home when practicing. but a dj should never sit while performing

Tech Wizard

I sit most of the time at home practicing because I dont have a tall enough table to stand comfortably and I recently fractured my back so standing like that is painful. The one thing I dont like about sitting though Is I am always dancing a bit while playing so it takes away from it.

I stand for practicing/mixing, and sit for track prep, working out routines, mapping, etc.
    You can't dance/move to the music in a chair very well.

I actually sit sometimes when at a venue, it COMPLETELY depends on the environment.

Last Thursday, I was doing a set a student pub - ie, a very laid back environment - and after 3 hours I was fucking EXHAUSTED standing around all the time. I noticed they had lovely "high" chairs designed for sitting at high tables/bars, so I dragged it back to the booth and plopped myself down on it.

I was still at the same height as I would've been if I was standing, but my legs weren't killing me anymore - job done. Will be doing exactly the same thing next Thursday

Tech Wizard

Very true Mdcdesign! Even coming home from a long day at work I want to just play some tracks but the thought of standing makes me not play. I'm going to have to by one of those high stools for home
    Last edited by RaydogPR; 03-03-2013 at 12:30 AM.

Tech Mentor

No DJ should sit at a club...

Depends. If my control surface is right in front of me and every aspect is reachable without getting off my chair.. Fine in laid back / lounge areas but in clubs it's generally a no-no.
    But usually with [CDJ2000][CDJ2000][DJM900][CDJ2000][CDJ2000] a little walking around is necessary.
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

i stand when practicing, just good practice and muscle memory junk or whatever
    Z2, Kontrol X1 x2, Kontrol F1 x2, HP Elitebook 8440p, Traktor 2.6.1, Pioneer HDJ-1500

Tech Wizard

Even when Im sitting I still get the shoulders moving! Fuck whoever hit me with their car...wasnt for them I wouldnt have this problem

Edit: Strike that I often forget until I am standing that my knees have been completely destroyed so that doesnt help very much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast