Ableton grooves, help!
    Tech Mentor

Default Ableton grooves, help!

I'm currently working on my first track, and I've been messing around with grooves since they provide that human touch instead of the dull robotic/computerized feel

I don't quite understand some of the grooves though, the more obvious ones are easy like, "congos" "cowbells" etc, but what do these grooves do:

- Swing?

- SP1200???

- Quantize? (I kinda understand this, but would love some clarification)

- Notator???

- Logic ???

- MPC ???

Any clarification on any of these is much appreciated! I fucking HATE the sound of some parts in my track cause it sounds way too robotic so I need to add the right grooves and such, so you would be helping me out a ton!

Groove is pretty much interchangeable with 'swing' in this instance. Swing gives you more of a shuffle feeling while the SP1200, Notator, Logic and MPC grooves model the swing settings from those various samplers/sequencers. When it comes to grooves, the hotswap button is your friend since it does take a bit of demoing to get the feel for what you want and of course you can always massage the groove parameters a bit to fit. You can also extract grooves from pretty much any audio and use it on a song too.

ableton Grooves aren't nearly as important as people make them out to be. Just work on your arrangement and drums for now