Numark 4Trak - how portable? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Guru

The 4TRAK is certainly a very nice Traktor controller but at over 7kgs it can hardly be called portable.

Do you regularly mix with 3 or 4 track decks? If not, there are many more portable options available if you're willing to downsize.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Convert

Primary use is going to be as a Traktor controller, but I want the option to run a 1210 through it, and ideally be able to plug an iPad/iPod in as backup, so functionality as a standalone mixer is important. Also like the balanced outs, needle drop controllers and the general layout of the console. Media browser controls and cueing/deck controls just make sense to me, and faders look large and robust.

Really have to order tomorrow, so I'm going to sleep on it and bite the bullet tomorrow morning. There are some weird deals floating around on the 4Trak - like they won't drop the price, but they'll throw in a shit-load of stuff you don't really need, like M-Audio studio monitors and a copy of Wobble. I guess they're not allowed to discount so they give away a load of freebies.

I'm probably leaning towards the MC-6000 as the sensible option, but I'm also going to look into the Vestax further and then probably write 3 names on a piece of paper, close my eyes and stick a pin in!

Thanks again.

Tech Guru

Have you checked out the XDJ Aero from Pioneer at all? It's fully standalone(works with or without a computer), and also has line/phono inputs for your turntable and Ipod.

And as it's only a 2 deck controller it's much smaller and lighter than most of the 4 deck controllers mentioned so far.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

but not scratch certified, neither the 4Track, so you'll also need Scratch A6/A10 package to be able to control the software with any timecode source.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Zorilow View Post
    Modular for me in most gig. Discuss...
    Depends on the scale of the gig. If I'm doing a big set somewhere, or people are coming SPECIFICALLY to see me play, I want as much flexibility as possible, so I'll go modular. If I'm doing a smaller venue, or just playing a club where people care more about getting wankered than the music, I'll take my all-in-one.

Tech Convert

XDJ Aero looks cool, but it strikes me as a bit of a jack-of-all-trades and perhaps loses out on the Traktor integration front as a result. It's also all plastic, which I think reduces it's suitability for gigging. The idea of DJ'ing wirelessly also scares the pants off me - if I want to connect a device to my controller, I'd lilke to see a cable that I can clumsily detach and reconnect, rather than having to troubleshoot IP addresses or network settings. Cool piece of kit though.

Scratch certification is not such a big deal for me. I'm not using timecode CDs or vinyl at the moment, and don't mind stumping up for an extra interface if I need to move in that direction, which I think is necessary for pretty much all none-NI interfaces.

Tech Mentor

I have a 4Trak and I've lugged it to gigs. The Numark backpack looks like the optimal solution, I should get me one of those...

Between the Denon and the Numark, remember that 4Trak has custom integration into Traktor for the jogs, comparable to the S4. AFAIK the Denon has to rely on basic MIDI jog functionality, which has always been pretty laggy and imprecise in Traktor. Personally I would prefer Denon style soft buttons to the clicky Numark buttons, but it's a tradeoff I can live with. Another thing is that the Denon has mini sized pitch faders, and that's a definite no-no for me.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJQA View Post
    I have a 4Trak and I've lugged it to gigs. The Numark backpack looks like the optimal solution, I should get me one of those...

Between the Denon and the Numark, remember that 4Trak has custom integration into Traktor for the jogs, comparable to the S4. AFAIK the Denon has to rely on basic MIDI jog functionality, which has always been pretty laggy and imprecise in Traktor. Personally I would prefer Denon style soft buttons to the clicky Numark buttons, but it's a tradeoff I can live with. Another thing is that the Denon has mini sized pitch faders, and that's a definite no-no for me.
    Completely agree with this. You get the backpack and you're golden. It's big yes, but the build and size are worth it when you get in front on the gear. The pitch faders and jog wheels are perfect if you're used to djing on standard Pioneer CDJ's, like the majority of clubs use.

I got the 4Trak instead of the S4 for a number of reasons; build quality, size, jog wheels and pitch faders. And it's the only controller I can think of, barring the Pioneer DDJ T1, that is 1:1 integrated with Traktor.
    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz / Traktor 2.6.1 / Numark 4Trak / M-Audio BX8 D2 / M-Audio Axiom 25 Midi Keyboard / Ableton 8

Twitter @JordanBMZ
    https://soundcloud.com/bmz/

Tech Convert

Totally agree with everyhting above. 4Trak is very close to my dream controller ...

Unfortuantely the size/portability thing is a bit of a deal-breaker. It ocurred to me today that when I go down to London for gigs, I often have other meetings, and realistically lugging around the 4Trak from place to place isn't going to work. Just going to the gig and back again would have been fine (in fact I had it in my basket first thing this morning), but I'm going to need somehting slightly more portable.

So, I've ordered the MC-6000 and the appropirate UDG bag, and I'm just going to have to live with the fact I've had to compromise slightly on the controller for the sake of portability. Maybe I could have made the 4Trak work, but on balance I had to go with my head for once.

I'll covet the 4Trak, but hopefully also enjoy the Denon.

Thanks to all for the help, feedback, guidance etc.

Jules

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Trailerman View Post
    Totally agree with everyhting above. 4Trak is very close to my dream controller ...

Unfortuantely the size/portability thing is a bit of a deal-breaker. It ocurred to me today that when I go down to London for gigs, I often have other meetings, and realistically lugging around the 4Trak from place to place isn't going to work. Just going to the gig and back again would have been fine (in fact I had it in my basket first thing this morning), but I'm going to need somehting slightly more portable.

So, I've ordered the MC-6000 and the appropirate UDG bag, and I'm just going to have to live with the fact I've had to compromise slightly on the controller for the sake of portability. Maybe I could have made the 4Trak work, but on balance I had to go with my head for once.

I'll covet the 4Trak, but hopefully also enjoy the Denon.

Thanks to all for the help, feedback, guidance etc.

Jules
    If the 4Trak is too big but your ideal controller then you should be going for the S4. In my opinion.
    Macbook Pro 2.4GHz / Traktor 2.6.1 / Numark 4Trak / M-Audio BX8 D2 / M-Audio Axiom 25 Midi Keyboard / Ableton 8

Twitter @JordanBMZ
    https://soundcloud.com/bmz/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast