Beatgrid blues.

Thread: Beatgrid blues.

Default Beatgrid blues.

Im having a hell of a time trying to get a specific track's beatgrid locked in.

the track in question is "know your enemy" by rage against the machine. I have tried using multiple beatmarkers to no avail. I also had no luck trying to use the internal metronome.

If anybody by some chance has this track locked in then could you please relay what bpm your grid is set to.

is it worth exporting the track to ableton to warp? Can this be done with the demo of live?

the "live" element is a woe to all of us who are used to quantized music. i've had issues with trying to get a specific bpm on tracks like this before.

if i remember correctly, that song has a 6/8 timing (at least in some parts), that may be the issue? time signature changes can throw it off.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

I'm going through our DnB collection atm. pain in the ass end to grid but its gotta be done.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

you can either warp it in ableton.

or you can ride the tempo fader while mixing to compensate for the tempo shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by sm00sh View Post
    is it worth exporting the track to ableton to warp? Can this be done with the demo of live?
    'Fraid not, the save function for the warp markers is greyed out in the Live demo.

You just have to try and ride the pitch as previously mentioned. You could also try using some effects to creatively mix out. Using a delay and freeze and throwing a filter, or other such modulation effects is a possible example.
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kidfromkibbly View Post
    You could also try using some effects to creatively mix out. Using a delay and freeze and throwing a filter, or other such modulation effects is a possible example.

good call!

So far the echo freeze out is the only technique I use to drop that song. The problem is that I want to mash that song into pieces and that is quite difficult to achieve whilst ridding the pitch fader. at least on the small pitch faders of the vci-100.

thanks to everyone for their feedback, it looks like I might use a friend's copy of live to warp the track.

Tech Wizard

Have you registered your demo version of live yet? This gives you 14 days of full ableton capability. I used this with Bentos smart mixer so I could add my midi controls and then save it. When the demo ran out my files were all sorted.
    I'd suggest getting a stack of tunes you want to play out but are having difficulty in gridding then get the demo version of ableton registered and spend 2 weeks getting everything sorted out.
    Advent Notebook N270 1Gb ram,G5 PPC OSX 10.4.11 quadcore 2Gb ram fast track pro
    BCR 2000, Axiom 25
    http://www.mrcoops.co.uk
    http://www.spatialawareness.co.uk